forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Knubje
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Daily High Latency - Area 20

Hi,

It seems like many others, I too am suffering through possible network congestion/over subscription in my area (20).

It has been noticeable more in the last month than ever before. I have two working from home and my family are avid gamers and streaming service subscribers. Our daily work vvoip calls are ropy at best and gaming during the busy periods is impossible.

I've recently tried to call to complain/address the issue. No avail, and it's really hard getting through "during these unprecedented times". I did manage to get my account re-jigged to provide M350 rather than M100 as I was desperate to try and make the problem go away. Obviously increasing bandwidth hasn't helped but "it might have done" according to the person roping me into another 18 months.

I have had an engineer visit around 10 days ago. He replaced my router, which was on the blink (2 upstream locking in rather than 4). I was hopeful all these things might have helped, but they haven't. BQM still shows crazy daily latency.

I've tested all this after a new router, with only my hard wired connection in, etc, etc. BQM also doesn't lie as it's external to my home kit setup anyway.:

Can anyone from the forums/experts take a look for me and see if there is anything obvious my end at fault (haha) or if there are any known fixes in the area or even get it raised as an issue of congestion in my area?? Help me Obi-wan you are now my only hope.

Thanks,

Disgruntled Pandemic Attendee

0 Kudos
Knubje
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Daily High Latency - Area 20

All my metrics for posterity:

BQM for last three days (I have many more if needed):
10-02-2110-02-2111-02-2111-02-2109-02-2109-02-21

Router stats:

Downstream:

Knubje_0-1613137754903.pngKnubje_1-1613137778303.png

Upstream:

Knubje_2-1613137791838.png

Configuration:

Knubje_3-1613137806309.png

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The fact that your BQM looks perfect between midnight and 9am really does say whats causing it - WFH. There's even a dip when people go for lunch around 1pm. It should be better after people return to the offices. 

0 Kudos
Knubje
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I know what you are saying and it's every conclusion I've come to already. I get that we are in difficult times and perhaps the VM provision in my area was already high and then all those people working from home is tipping it beyond.

However, I still need to work from home and it's choppy at best, as does my wife. I'm also paying for a service which in my eyes isn't really performing as it should.

Still hopeful someone with some knowledge might be able to answer or at least acknowledge VM are aware of it and are going to try and increase capacity to rectify it.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That's a classic over-utilisation footprint.  I suspect that VM have quietly and temporarily given up on formally qualifying new over-utilisation problems with a fault reference because they believe the vast majority will disappear when lockdown ends, but that's what your BQM shows.  There's nothing in your hub stats that's causing or contributing to this.  Various discussions in the forum about why it is occurring now, why it affects VM in particular, and why VM can't reasonably do anything about it.

I'm afraid you sit it out, or you get an Openreach connection in (which of course has a lot of practical considerations to weigh up).

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

diddsy09
Settling in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm also having this, a week off work to relax and play some games its awful, I've not got the will power to call VM support as I know their service is shocking, means moving to an Openreach line, fork up the money for the new line will be cheaper than my time sitting on hold to an overseas call centre.

VM support - please do the love of god sort this out, paying £100 per mth for all your services, really expect more

Cheers

Another frustrated customer

p.s. please stop calling us trying to flog skysports packages.  

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Knubje
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Alas, you are correct and I don't expect much will happen due to all aforementioned. I can only hope and perhaps this post is just one more in the line of "visibility" I can give.

I think I have to wait until the end of lock down and review, like many others.  I can get a BT ADSL line to my place but ideally don't want to be paying for two internet lines. A decision that will have to wait.

0 Kudos