Menu
niceties
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Crazy latency & constant packet loss, making gaming impossible :*(

Hi,

quite new to VM. Always had a BIT of lag but now its become really bad 😞

I just called the helpline and the guy just read a script, blaming it on an upgrade (I'm dubious of this because I know another VM customer who lives about 300 metres away from me and they have ZERO issues)

I've attached some diagnostics below.  Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this or do I need to go to another provider?

Thanks

Ben

9cb78f50a031fe3a3e3754f7ee27c753a5c9ace8-21-01-2021(1).png

0 Kudos
niceties
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Crazy latency & constant packet loss, making gaming impossible :*(

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/19c739fb7c0279f82dbba01df0259dcdee3837b5-21-01-2021

0 Kudos
Jresty100
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ben

The diagnostics are not loading.

Does the VM customer who lives 300m away from you play video games?

Remember download speed is only to download the file. If the other customer is only streaming/downloading files from the internet to watch for example, he will not be experiencing issues with latency. Latency is a big problem from VM they simply oversell and false advertise to gamers.

Here is an example of my BQM graph from today:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/46a2f39ed790ae859a5a9dc4ed6c714257fcd39d-22-01-2021

Try and get a BQM graph from thinkbroadband.com, so you have some evidence to get yourself some compensation for your loss of time.

niceties
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello m8!

Yeah!  They're gamers!  I haven't checked their latency tho!  I dunno why my graph wont load but between 8 & 9 pm its a thick red column, indicating constant packet loss.  I've never experienced anything like it!  I've been gaming online since about 2002!!!  😞

Thanks for the reply 🙂

Ben

0 Kudos
Jresty100
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ben

It honestly sounds like over utilisation, 8 - 9pm will still be a busy time for people to be using the internet. 

Have you filed a complaint over at virginmedia.com, under the help section? Do that first and try get a BQM graph then copy and paste a link from think broadband to get your issue noticed on the forums. Which area reference are you from, always include that in your post so the area gets flagged and noticed.

Maybe after a week sometimes less someone at virgin media may comment on your post. Until then try and cancel your contract if your not happy & have recently signed up, then try a different ISP with lower speeds advertised for example 100mbs download 20 mbs upload a smaller ISP provider with less demand will be the way forward this will no doubt fix your latency issue. But always best to track your data for evidence. Remember you do not need high download speeds to enjoy gaming, you need stable latency. 

niceties
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello m8!

Yes I did call but the guy just read a script and said that it was due to an upgrade with no ETA on the horizon.  I asked if he would like to see my 'thinkbroadband' dignostic graphs and he said that there was no point.  I basically got mugged off 😞

0 Kudos
niceties
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

9cb78f50a031fe3a3e3754f7ee27c753a5c9ace8-23-01-2021(1).png

0 Kudos
niceties
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

oh yes!  sorry .. area reference is 03 (I'm in Coulsdon!)

0 Kudos
Jresty100
Dialled in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I know Coulson its the same area reference as me 03. 

Basically they need to upgrade the local network server, to enable more people to use it at the same time. But this will cost VM x amount of time and money, the only reason for the over demand / utilisation is happening is likely due to covid and lockdown. So they probably are waiting for the lockdown to finish so they don't have to spend the money. They turnover billions and still cant give you a stable gaming experience absolutely terrible customer service, they bank on people not using the web at the same time so they oversell populate areas and never upgrade the equipment on the basis people wont use the internet at the same times of the day. 

0 Kudos
niceties
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

even if lockdown ends... so many companies will switch to 80%-100% WFH...

VM just need to cough up 😞

0 Kudos