Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Continuous High Ping and Packet Loss since March

Hi there,

I had a technician came over he had no idea what I was on about as they didn't have a gaming background they said I sounded more technical then they did. I've had two technicians over the last 4/5 months over and they have both said the same thing and have done the same thing during the investigation which is changing the port in the box across the road. Below I have taken screenshots of what I have been experiencing over the last few months.

AugustAugust

Picture 1 - August 15th - High Ping spikes and packet loss through out most of the day.

SeptemberSeptember

Picture 2 - September 30th - High Ping spikes and so much packet loss spikes through out most of the afternoon. This lead into the same thing on the morning after which was October 1st.

OctoberOctober

Picture 3 - October 23rd - Same as the last few months, ping spikes and packet loss through out the day.

14.15 November.png

Picture 4 - 14th/15th November (+ right now) The packet loss through out the day seems to have gone during this month which is good to see. However now it's just straight high latency spikes and it start's during the beginning of the day, calms down by lunch and then happens from 4-5pm onwards.

I would really love some help on this. We have tried a new cable CAT6 and  currently using a fresh CAT8 which we have had since April/ May time just before reporting for the 1st technician, they was both showing the same results. I have tried swapping the coaxil cables as well to see if that showed an improvement but doesn't seem it has by the looks of it.

I don't know what is going on but for what my family is paying for, this is quite unacceptable. I really appreciate the fact that there is a pandemic and it's hard for VM right now as they have had to reduce staff due to government's guidelines and there is a complete influx of usage on the servers with people working from home and etc but so many people are reporting issues that seem quite similar to mine and it's really bad.

I would just love an answer from this because originally I was told it could be due to high traffic in your area but I have friends close by who have the same package as me and one lives like 2 minutes from me and they connection could possibly lead to the same box as us across the road and they report zero issues with ping or packet loss when they play games.

I would really appreciate it if someone could speak to me off this as what was attempted last time had shown no improvement over the last few months at all.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Continuous High Ping and Packet Loss since March

Please can I have someone from Virgin Media to have a look at this. I even ran a speedtest today and got shocking results. We are mean't to get 300+ download. This is stupid.

Someone please help like literally, this isn't even my internet it's the families internet and I am complaining on behalf of I use the internet more for what I like to do which is playing and streaming games.

031e60fdaa98e0a43f629537cd68fd38.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi dylana9991

Thanks for posting. My apologies for the broadband issues. I've had a chat with a colleague and they've raised it with our faults team as a potential congestion issue. I'll monitor this and come back to you when I know more

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

thank you very much for getting in touch. Yes please do keep me updated.

0 Kudos