cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant small packet loss

Pandaclan
Tuning in

Hi,

I'm aware that work has been done in my area today. I am not sure if it is related to my problem though...

may03.JPG

I've noticed this for the past week or two. 

Whilst it is nowhere near as bad as my issue last year which went on for over 6 months, the spike around 9:30pm was enough to disconnect my gaming. As this is constant packet loss - please can someone advise ?

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small local faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub.

Once done we can comment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I have called the number up this morning and apparently they are still working on it. I appreciate the advice about posting power levels, but after the issues I had last year, I had a repull, latest hub, several senior techs etc. I'd like to presume as the issue was non-existent 2 weeks ago, this is not a sudden issue my side, along with work apparently going on. 

Pandaclan_0-1683205190711.png

After I posted, things got a bit worse as above.

My fear is that the work going on in the area is nothing to do with this particular issue. It would be great to get an official response, who has spoken with my area manager etc to actually confirm what work is happening 🙂

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Pandaclan, thanks for this update on the thread and sorry to see your issues have been ongoing and just got worse.

We'd love to best advise on this, upon the latest updates on the area faults we can confirm the problem is due to be fixed by 9/5 at 12:30pm.

When this happens, we'll be able to communicate with your hub and troubleshoot for further issues and to if we need more technical support. 
However, as long as the outage is present we cannot perform our diagnostics remotely.

We can also confirm that as impact from this Noise to Ratio outage found on our local network currently, you may find that your services are intermittent or slow with the connection timing out.

Please, monitor this as once our service status page has updated showing the area fault got resolved we'll be happy to assess your hub and home network for further issues where needed.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

Appreciate the update, thank you!

It looks like things have gone back to how they've been over the last month - Ie largely useable service but it's not right yet:
may11.JPG

There's a lot of tiny amount of continuous packet loss, which is pretty much the summary of this topic!

When I had huuuuge issues last year, I would have been mostly happy if my netgraph looked like this, however, I was told that there was some known interference which they would find and sort, which never seemed to happen. I am aware that there is a known percentage of trouble before the network team will investigate.

Can I please get your opinion on whether this is something to live with or if it's something you would fix? 

At the end of the day, something in my area is causing this regular constant packet loss. It can cause issues with gaming when it happens, otherwise it's not that noticeable. However, I will be looking to move broadband elsewhere when my contract is up if this is ongoing or worse. I would like to stay but I also want a service without constant red blips/interrupted gaming etc!

Hi @Pandaclan 

Thanks for coming back to the thread. I have checked your levels and the SNR level was out of spec earlier in the week but has come back into spec at this writing. Your other levels are slightly high but still in spec. Can you go round all connections please, ensure they're all finger tight. Then do a full reboot on the router and then let the BQM monitor the connection?

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill