Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Constant lag spike in Rocket League

As the title suggests. I've checked my ping and it'll sit around 10ms and then shoot up to 100ms+ for a few seconds then back down to 10ms.

100mb internet, currently using HUB 3 - ethernet cable (cat 5e) directly into router.

I've contacted VM support several times, but I'm met with dead end responses like "have you checked the quality of your cable", or "you need to upgrade to category 6 cable", none of which apply here.

This is persistent and I'm at wits end with this as I'm paying for a service I'm not getting properly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant lag spike in Rocket League

I have the exact same problem on rocket league. Sometimes it is harder to notice than other times ... Its even worse on CSGO. That is the worst game for it IMO. Yesterday I used USB tethering with my phone (you can do it too if you have a phone which can hotspot, mine is a samsung S8) to connect my PC to the internet, and boom.. no ping spikes, zero packet loss, completely normal again.

After months of trying to fix my connection with resetting routers and changing my software it turns out it is Virgin media who has the problem.

Think about that for a second, my phone which is completely wireless and connects to a 4G tower, provides a completely stable connection compared to a WIRED connection which virgin media uses in their underground fibre network. Insane! It is supposed to be the opposite where Wireless is jittery and unstable, not wired... shows you how badly set up the VM network is in oversubscribed areas.

I recommend you switch. Or if you can't do that, you can at least connect your phone to your PC and enable 'Hotspot via USB tethering' to use your phone for internet. I have read the other post on this forum which has nearly 60 pages, and they haven't fixed anyones internet for months. Everyone has the same problem, rubber banding, high ping and packet loss. They have been giving empty promises since March to people saying they will 'repair' soon. They are just waiting for the lockdown to end, when less people will be using the internet and their network will be able to cope again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/92c171c20478cd658a0cc388ac79709b39... 

Here's a link to the broadband quality monitor, as you can see there's heavy latency

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi kilgoretrout,

Thank you for your post and a warm welcome to the community!

I am sorry to understand that you have been facing some issues with your broadband service. Your BQM graph clearly shows some major problems there.

I have booked you in with an engineer appointment which you can find the time slot of via your online account here.

Let me know how things go from there and if you need anything else from us.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos