Menu
Mait3rz
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Constant disconnections Elder Scrolls Online PC

Hi, 

This has been an issue with this game for a while, I also have 3 friends who are on virgin media that play this game who also experience frequent disconnects. I have spoke with Bethesda support who have directed me to Virgin directly.

My internet doesn’t disconnect, it still shows as being connected, however the game kicks me from the server. Normally when changing zones or at the end of a dungeon run.

I have also read posts on here from 2018 saying they have the same issue, changing the super hub or the power has resolved it.

when I have contacted support via telephone about this previously they just keep telling me everything is running fine. 

Is anyone able to help with this issue. 

0 Kudos
Mait3rz
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant disconnections Elder Scrolls Online PC

Update:

Just spoke with somebody on chat, who was quite unhelpful and told me the issue isn't at their end.

Quite clearly looking at these search results it is:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=...

I have friends that play this game on virgin media, same issue. The others on ISPs such as Sky or Plusnet the game runs fine. 

Nice to be fobbed off when clearly there is an issue with virgin. Im going to be closing my account if this isn't resolved.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Searching the forum for other posts of people with the same issue doesn't confirm it's a systemic issue on the VM network, especially with how sparse and scattered the dates between new topics with ESO issues are.

I recommend setting up a BQM on the Think Broadband website (https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality) and leaving that to collect data for a day (if the graph is all red at the start make sure external/WAN ICMP echo requests are enabled in the Hub 3 firewall.)
The BQM will graph out the latency and packet loss of your connection to help show if there is a quality issue outside of just this specific game.
Mait3rz
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate searching through other older forum posts doesn't mean it's the same issue.

However my friends who are also on Virgin (with the superhub 2 myself included) are all experiencing this, whilst others who are using Sky or Plusnet are playing perfectly fine. The forum posts just back up exactly what we are experiencing with the superhub 2.

I contacted virgin by phone earlier today, I was passed to three people before I got someone who advised they could help, but they requested I paid for a premium service for tech support on all my devices for them to resolve it. I requested they just put me through to cancellations, they couldn't as it's closed at the moment. They passed me back to the broadband team who asked for my name and the line disconnected... 

I have set up the quality monitoring, I will leave this running for a day. 

My Broadband Ping - My Virgin Media connection

0 Kudos
Mait3rz
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Ok, I may have actually just found the issue.

It is related to packet loss, on the virgin media superhub settings the maximum MTU size is by default set to 1500. 

This is the maximum size a packet of information can be sent out.

ESO's EU server falls under the I.P 195.122.154.1.

I opened command prompt and ran ping 195.122.154.1 -f -l 1500.

4 Packets sent, 4 packets lost so a router somewhere between me and ESO's EU server isn't accepting packet sizes of 1500. 

It appears a generally accepted packet size is 1472, ran another test ping 195.122.154.1 -f -l 1472.

4 Packets sent, 4 packets received.

However I I did receive the odd packet loss, I have set my MTU size at 1490 and ran ping tests at ping 195.122.154.1 -f -l 1462

You may need to do some fine tuning with these numbers yourself, here's a guide on how to run the test: 
https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=134914

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You're misunderstanding MTU, MTU is the Maximum Transmission Unit, this is the maximum packet that can be sent before needing to fragment the packet.

A packet is made up of packet headers and a payload (the data), these headers are not counted in the packet size command for ping, you'd want 1472. 1472 is the size of the packet minus headers, after those are included a 1500 byte packet will be sent.

Long story short, the size argument for the ping command is not total packet size but payload size, and the payload is only one component of a packet.

1472 + 20 (IP headers) + 8 (ICMP headers) = 1500

EDIT: Just to add, I highly recommend against lowering the MTU, the internet is designed around expecting things to have a 1500 MTU for compatibility across networks. You also wouldn't want to raise it either for similar reasons, plus the fact the VM network is a 1500 MTU network, and that your home network cards will be set for a 1500 MTU on the LAN, and I doubt the Hub supports jumbo frames to allow it to exceed the standard 1500 MTU.

0 Kudos
Mait3rz
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, that makes sense why my test kept failing after I’d reduced it, I had to add the 28 on. Which is why 1472 was working fine when it was set to 1500.... ok back to the drawing board.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

If something sends a packet of a size lower than 1500 bytes nothing happens at all in the way of fragmentation, as it does not exceed the MTU, in this scenario the packet would just be sent off as is with no changes required. This is why lowering the MTU should have absolutely no effect on the issue.
0 Kudos
Mait3rz
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Any other ideas? Set it back to 1500 after reading your comments. 

Think a VPN will help? 

Might just bite the bullet set to modem mode and buy a new router. 

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Getting your own router would be an idea anyway for improved wifi and a better router overall, the Hub isn't very good.

If we work on the assumption that the issues you're facing are down to the routing between Virgin and the ESO server then yes, a VPN would likely work around the problem. However it the issue is down to your connection stats (power levels, RS errors, etc) then it's less likely to help.
0 Kudos