cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Lag and Freezing.

IRiksta
Tuning in

I got offered a superhub 4 recently, so I accepted. Ever since I've installed it, online gaming has been impossible, Constant lag and rubberbanding.

I've asked for a Superhub 3 back, which is coming tomorrow, so I'm hoping that sorts it out, as it was fine before. I'm just worried it was a coincidence. I've set up a BQM to see if anyone can point out any other issues.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/898ab5c20dbd04bc7aa546d5b38bd0274776b96c-14-09-2021

6 REPLIES 6

Jkuk23
Tuning in

What platform you trying to use out of interest 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you were offered a Hub 4, then unless you had upgraded to 1 Gbps it will be because your area is suffering over-utilisation problems (VM sold more contracts than their equipment could support local to you).  The BQM has the shape of over-utilisation, looks like you also have a noise issue as well. 

The Hub 4 uses DOCSIS 3.1, this is more demanding of line quality, so the indicated noise problems can usually be fixed, whether that removes the peak time hump caused by over-utilisation only time will tell, I would tend to suspect not.  You say you're going back to the Hub 3 - that is less sensitive to line quality, so might offer some improvement, but would be equally susceptible to over-utilisation.  I reckon you had the over-utilisation problem beforehand, possibly didn't know that?

If it is over-utilisation and the Hub 3 isn't much better, the outlook is not good.  VM fight a continual battle to keep upgrading the network for data use that rises around 30% every year, and spend millions doing that, some areas don't get upgraded fast enough (or at all), and then it can be months and in some cases years before the problem is resolved, during which time VM issue utterly meaningless fix dates.  But that's getting ahead of ourselves - let's see what happens when the Hub 3 gets connected, assuming it does turn up.

I'm playing on Xbox.

I have the superhub 3 again, so far the connection has been better. Instead of lagging every 1 - 5 minutes at any time of the day, so far I've only lagged 5 times in 1 day, which is better that the super Hub 4.

The connection before was perfect, me and my girlfriend played online all the time, with 0 lag issues. I'm wondering if switching to the hub 4 and the over utilisation issue just happened at the same time, making me believe it was the solely the hub.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @IRiksta,

Welcome back to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see that the Hub-4 was causing you problems while gaming.

I can see you have mentioned that you are back on the Hub-3, are you no longer needing help with the dropouts?

Please let me know.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I'm wondering if switching to the hub 4 and the over utilisation issue just happened at the same time, making me believe it was the solely the hub.

Shouldn't be the case.  If it is/was over-utilisation, that's a capacity constraint usually at the head of the local coax network, and connecting a Hub 4 might make it better, but certainly should not make it worse.  Check your IP address is correct for the BQM, see what that shows now.