Menu
JMayo94
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Constant High Ping and Packet Loss Rocket League

Hi,

I recently switched to Virgin Media broadband, however i have been having constant latency issues since the switch when i play Rocket League. My ping is constantly +60ms and it can spike to over 100 several times per game, making it extremely frustrating to play.

I called your support, however when i mentioned ping and packet loss he just kept asking me about speed? My speed is fine.

I have attached a BQM image and also a trace route to one of the RL servers. It shows over 20% packet loss and large latency swings. Is there anything that can be done to resolve this? I had no issues with my previous ISP, ping was always 20-30ms max.

WinMTR_RL_EU3.pngBQM.png

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant High Ping and Packet Loss Rocket League

Are you sure that's your current VM IP that the BQM is monitoring?  It's a very unusual trace for a DOCSIS cable connection, and looks to me more like a VDSL Openreach connection suffering from contention issues (this isn't a hangover from your pre-VM connection, is it?).  The nature of cable means that there's usually a persistent yellow fringe of latency peaks, and the average latency wobbles sufficiently to create a thicker blue band, added to which, when things do go bad, the peak latency numbers shoot up in individual spikes rather than the "tower blocks" the BQM you've posted has.

Take a look at my BQM, which is for a good cable connection with no utilisation/contention problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JMayo94
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I can confirm that this BQM is with my VM IP address as i didn't set it up until i started having issues with my connection on VM.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

On the contrary, I can confirm that it isn't your BQM.  It's the example BQM chart from Thinkbroadband's Quality Monitor page

Do you have an excuse?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
JMayo94
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry here is my actual BQM. I think the tracert demonstrates the issues i am having more than the BQM anyway.BQM1.png

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

At last, a DOCSIS cable BQM.  That shows a slightly problematic latency trace, although we regularly see worse.  There's a very slight hint of network congestion, but could instead be a power or noise issue.  Post (as formatted text) the contents of your hub's status page for Upstream, Downstream and Network log and we can take a look for any obvious power or noise issues.  This might be resolvable, but only if we can see evident problems in power, noise or modulation.  

Sadly, cable isn't the technology of choice for gamers, since for gaming you don't need the huge bandwidth, and it is inherently prone to latency spiking if conditions are not perfect, and you will always get that low level "peak" fringing.  A good VDSL connection will usually be far more consistent, with little peaking, and often lower average and minimum latency.   

0 Kudos