Menu
Scopes
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Consistant disconnects

I have been suffering consistant disconnects that last for a few seconds for the last year every day, sometimes once a day, once every few hours, and at worst every few seconds for 3+ hours.

I've had a replacement router, socket replaced, internal wires replaced, used router mode and modem mode. All devices lose connection and all are directly wired I don't use Wifi.

I've been speaking with an engineer and we have determined that it's probably something to do with the tap I'm connected to in the cabinet. He's said he would try to come round and move me to another tap but is apparently very busy.

I'm extremely fed up with this and I want it sorted out, I'm fed up of hearing "everything looks fine on our end", "have you restarted your router", "give it another couple of days", and the usual things you hear from the support staff on the phone.

When it's working fine the power levels are all fine, when the issues happen I observed the power levels drop by 3-4 dBmV and the SNR drops from 38 to 33~ after last rebooting the hub it had accumulated between 50k-96k Pre RS Errors and up to 20k Post RS Errors within a couple of minutes.

I had an issue with terrible download speeds a few years ago and an engineer moved me to another tap then, however since then I've been told that an engineer had been round to rebalance the cabinet. I assume they put me back on a tap that isn't working right.

I'm posting to get an engineer booked to move my connection in the cabinet.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Consistant disconnects

I'm posting to get an engineer booked to move my connection in the cabinet.

It would be nice to think that they'd replace the faulty tap (or the whole frame).  If all the technician can do is keep shunting the connections around, whilst some bean counting numpty refuses to pay for the asset renewal of worn out kit, some poor bod is always going to suddenly find they've now got the dodgy connection.  Then again, so long as the customers continue to pay in the face of poor service, there's no need for VM to adopt any quality model.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Scopes
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That's true and I agree. I can't fault the last engineer that came around (The one who refitted the socket in my home and gave me a new cable) because when he visited he found the cabinets lock wasn't working correctly and couldn't get the door open. He said he was going to report that. Since then I've seen another VM van at a house down the road so I'm assuming that the door has been fixed.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I can't fault the last engineer that came around 

The calibre and attitude of most of VM's UK employees is superb, and I doubt they get the recognition and reward they're due  it's just a shame that they can be let down by bureaucracy, crap processes and broken data flows (and the offshore Jumblies). 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the post Scopes and welcome to our community.

Can we please confirm if you still need some help with your connection? 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
Scopes
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes I still want help, I've had disconnections pretty much every day for the past year. Currently while writing this reply I've had 5 in the last 2 minutes.

We have diagnosed pretty much everything and believe it is the tap in the cabinat or cable from my house to the cab.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to us Scopes. 

I am going to drop you a PM so that we can can some account information. 

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right corner. 

Kind Regards 

Zak_M  

0 Kudos