Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Connection only good for one person (highest package)

tl;dr: one person always has perfect bullet reg, the other doesn’t? How to fix? 

Highest Package in our area too. 

Hello. Both me and my brother are avid gamers, I would say. (We both play pretty much the majority of days off work, before work.. etc etc). Yet we always seem to have issues. Whenever we play a game together one of us ALWAYS has a considerably better connection. Both wired into our router, and both set to high priority in the QoS. I’d argue it happens when we both aren’t playing the same game (by who is getting angrier at what they’re playing, lol). We like to play some games together, and aim for high rankings on the leaderboards of all PvP games we play (mainly BRs and R6S lately). Our speeds are always good, yet we can notice who has better internet; Example: Shooting people in PUBG (and yes I’m aware of bullet drop, etc etc) we usually play with a squad of 4 so it’ll be us 2 brothers and 2 others. And they always notice it too. Yet sometimes we can literally shoot people point blank, or square in the face with an 8x and literally nothing happens. Yet the others bullets would reg every shot. The people in the party notice it, we notice it, and we’ve been having this issue for YEARS - tried every superhub and recently bought a pretty expensive router and still no improvement in any department, are we missing something in our settings, or what? We just wanna play games and both have good bullet reg so we can have a fun day, not just wondering who got the better luck each day. I know I might just sound crazy or whatever, but honestly it is definitely noticeable on our ends, and people we’ve played with. We’re both 25+ and aren’t just some whiny kids dying to **bleep** - we still make it work, yet it would be better with consistent connections. (Were even considering getting separate flats just to have our own connections, lol). Anybody have any ideas at all? We’d try anything at this point. (Sorry if any errors throughout this, typed it quickly on my phone and half my screen was the typing box).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connection only good for one person (highest package)

Set up a BQM at Thinkbroadband.com and see what that shows, do a speedtest (Ookla, default settings) and take a look in your Hub's Network status, and see if there's much in the way of critical errors (that's for the VM hub, not the new router).  

If you conclude that the VM connection is working OK, we can be pretty sure it is neither the cable modem or the router, and the symptoms you see must be an inherent property of all (or just a VM DOCSIS) line.  In that case there's a simple solution, which is the cheapest circa 38 Mbps VDSL line you can get, and have an Openreach connection purely for gaming.  I must say I'm surprised that you opted for VM at all given that latency is usually much better on an Openreach line, and you simply don't need high bandwidth even for multiple gamers, but you are where you are.  If you do decide to get in an Openreach line, make sure you select a top performing ISP, not the large brands like Sky, Talktalk, Vodafone, Plusnet etc, because if you do need technical support you will want good service from people that both understand latency and VDSL, as well as how to get Openreach to attend to noisy connections.  With Sky, VM, etc, the attitude is "not our problem".  Most small ISPs don't offer the heavily discounted prices to new customers that the majors do, on the other hand they don't then stiff you for a monstrous end of lock-in price rise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connection only good for one person (highest package)

Will give this a try! (And the reason we’re on VM is just because we both live together in our family home, and we’ve probably had this connection for 10+ years, just upgraded to the highest down the line somewhere). 

And before I move to a flat I’ll definitely look into the Open ones. 

0 Kudos