Menu
Dstirling26
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Connection keeps spiking

So I’ve had virgin media for a month now and everything has been fine but the last couple days my connection keeps spiking every couple seconds. I’ve tried the usual stuff to fix this but nothing has worked, also tried different devices but the same thing happens with them. 

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connection keeps spiking

Hi Dstirling26, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your connection. Taking a look at the account I can see an engineer's visit has been scheduled for you. We cannot confirm the appointment time slot publicly, so to view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM

If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Dstirling26
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

the technician came out and nothing has changed. I still have the random ping spikes that go up to 600ms and really don’t know what to do. Nearly 2 months of no problem and all of a sudden this is happening. Honestly think i might leave Virgin Media as i can’t play any online game as it’s unbearable. The technician said i would probably need to use Ethernet cable but I’m right next to my router with nothing else connected to the router and the lag spikes still happen but like i said he want happening before.

Here is a link to my ping test : https://www.netmeter.co.uk/ping-test/202120-146089-a0b9.html

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dstirling26,

Thanks for popping back here, I'm sorry to hear that the engineer was unable to fix the issue with your ping and that you have been thinking of leaving us.

Did the engineer have an idea of what may be causing this issue or suggestions of what to try, other than to connect via an Ethernet cable?

Beth

Beth
0 Kudos
Dstirling26
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yes he changed settings for the hub but it didn’t help. He was very helpful but unfortunately it just isn’t fixed. Any idea why it would be perfectly fine the connection for nearly 2 months then instantly without me changing anything it’s just spiking all over the place? 

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Does this tend to occur across one device or a specific site/online service e.g, a specific game online?

Can you also please consider setting up a Broadband Quality Monitor and posting the link to the graph here once you've collected 24 hours of data? This way we can monitor your broadband in terms of latency and packet loss.

Many thanks,

Beth

Beth
0 Kudos
Dstirling26
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

It happens on multiple devices/games and i have already set-up BQM.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/f2d32b16c4930b2fec28fe38c7da88e8bb... 

0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Dstirling26

I'm having a quick look into this now, could you reboot the box for me so I can review the signal levels after this?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos