cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Drops

smudge41
Joining in

anyone else had a load of connection drops?

im new to virgin and its been terrible some nights i cant even connect long enough to load into some games, it would seem the issue is with the wifi connections rather than with the service as a whole dropping, i have had a few speed tests running at 10mb which is poor for 11pm 

8 REPLIES 8

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM do not guarantee wifi speeds, only wired.  You need to test a wired connection directly to the Hub.

If the wifi is dropping, do a wifi scan of your property and see if the wifi space is congested.  Several apps on the Play Store for Android or use the Airport Utility if on iOS.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @smudge41,

Welcome! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the W-Fi issues.

I located your account, it is saying a device is too close to the Hub, which could be causing the issues you are having. Also can you try using the connect app to see if this can find the problem and the solution?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi it’s about 5 meters away from it? 

I have done the connect app with it all, which doesn’t make any difference to it all, having to use power lines that have restricted the speed to 50mb so might as well downgrade my package so it is at least reliable 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Power lines solutions are not too good at the best of times.   Really you should be gaming on a wired connection directly to the Hub, preferably Cat 6a.   

You could also get VM to relocate your Hub to a better position in the house for a very reasonable £25.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @smudge41

Thanks for coming back to us with the details. Is it possible to move the device slightly further from the Hub? Or as @Adduxi suggested, we can arrange for one our team to relocate your Hub to a better location in your home for £25.

Have you tried connecting your console via ethernet cable?

Best wishes,

Serena

Ironically I have been trying to have someone come here to sort the cables as it’s old NTL cabling from 20 years ago.

I was told this wasn’t possible and now it is? What changed in the last 2 weeks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@smudge41 wrote:

Ironically I have been trying to have someone come here to sort the cables as it’s old NTL cabling from 20 years ago. <snip>

It used to be £99 for this service, but was recently reduced to a very reasonable £25.  Maybe too many DIY users when it was £99?

As for the NTL cable, mine is over 20 years and still going strong, and in fact the last technician told me it's better cable than they currently use.  Mine you that was several years ago!   Maybe a case if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm sorry to hear you were told this wasn't possible @smudge41

@Adduxi is correct and the charge has recently been decreased. If you would like us to arrange this then please do let me know and I will reach out to you via a PM

Just to check, have you connected your console via Ethernet at all?

Thank you.