Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 21 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changes to the way game traffic is routed to my server?

At last someone that knows what he is talking about, at peak time my connection to any game server in Europe is the same (bad). Wouldn't you think as gaming uses so little bandwidth and is latency sensitive they would set it as high priority?

Its frustrating as I know no way to check UDP traffic other than the game, I have thought about using a UK based gaming VPN to see if that can improve things. What's your thoughts?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 22 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Post seems to have been eaten for some reason.

If it only seems to be yourself (or VM users) with the problem, there's a half decent chance a VPN might fix the issue as a workaround. It's definitely worth a try in the meantime if it improves the situation for you. If it does, that also proves it's not an issue with the access link, but a routing or congestion issue further down the line.

When it comes to ISPs, you implement your policies on the CPE and where the link terminates on the ISP's network at the head end. Once it hits the core (which will be hop 3, 62.252.7.13) you don't care about policies, you keep it as simple as possible. You're dealing with huge volumes of traffic, you don't want to complicate things. All the prioritisation does is make sure your traffic gets to the core as soon as possible, and marks the traffic so that devices that will listen know to forward it quickly.

Unfortunately LG don't seem to be running a looking glass at the moment, but OVH are who should be hosting your server.
https://lg.ovh.net/

If return traffic is taking a bad pathway (which is outside of VM/LG's control, unless they managed to do something crazy like misallocate IP addresses... I've seen ISPs do it!) then that could also cause issues. I've checked and it looks like the return pathway to my IP address is coming back in via London which is what I'd expect with good routing.

As I said though, these can be tricky issues to solve even when you have full access to the ISP network. And if someone else has problems outside the ISP's network, it ties your hands a lot because you can't fix their network for them.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 23 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

UDP is considered a connectionless protocol because it doesn't require a virtual circuit to be established before any data transfer occurs, which basically means it just sends the data regardless of the server is available.

It isnt the best way to send data as doesnt consider packet lose etc.

Where as TCP has emerged as the dominant protocol used for the bulk of internet connectivity due to its ability to break large data sets into individual packets, check for and resend lost packets, and reassemble packets in the correct sequence. But these additional services come at a cost in terms of additional data overhead and delays called latency.

You can read more at https://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/UDP-User-Datagram-Protocol

Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 24 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Well I tried a VPN and got the results that I thought, it slightly increased my ping by around 10ms to my server in France.

The VPN server was in London and I'm in Newcastle so my thoughts are that you were correct in your thinking that the problem is probably closer to home (between Newcastle and the south of England). It was just a free trial so might not have been the best VPN, and I think im right that the correct setting was open VPN for gaming?

Well I don't have the ability to trouble shoot this problem and the conclusion being network congestion somewhere along the path at peak periods brings this attempt to a close. The people who maintain and upgrade VMs network are probably aware of the bottleneck somewhere and me banging on about it is not going to do a thing.

The bottleneck will be upgraded at some point in the future but higher and higher internet speeds and more customers will most likely choke it up again. Time to try another ISP for gaming purposes, thanks to all for your time responding.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 25 of 27
Flag for a moderator

After doing some more routing trace tests at peak times I find most of my traffic goes through Greenwich London and Hampshire , I have been making the mistake of checking speeds at this time on servers closer to home.

Tonight I was trying to game with a terrible connection, so I ran a speed test to Virgins server in London and on one test only got 10Mbps download. Upload was always 35Mbps but the download was all over the place, a different speed every time I checked using differant servers down south so it is definitely over utilization . The latency and jitter just make gaming impossible.

What has happened recently on the network down south to make this such a problem over the last month or two?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 26 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi TROTER,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear about this. 

I will private message you so I can look into this. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 27 of 27
Flag for a moderator

All is now well, what ever the problem was has now gone.  Looking forward to a Friday night gaming fingers crossed.

0 Kudos