Menu
Highlighted
TROTER
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Changes to the way game traffic is routed to my server?

The last few weeks the ping to the game server I rent in France has increased from 40ms to 300ms and after much trouble shooting I have come to the conclusion the problem lies with my ISP.  I am know way a network engineer but something must have changed as I have used this server for four years with no problems until now.  

Could it be changes to the way your traffic is managed to France or a faulty or miss configured device on rout?  Other than this my internet works as it should with full speed and connections to other servers having no problem.

Who can I contact to try to resolve this issue?

0 Kudos
ZiltoidRacer
Up to speed
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changes to the way game traffic is routed to my server?

Have you tried putting your router into Modem Mode? This changes the ip and maybe it will change the route too. Is worth a try but when you do you will have to connect your pc via ethernet cable to your router to test.

https://www.twitch.tv/ziltoidtv
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

"after much trouble shooting I have come to the conclusion the problem lies with my ISP"

what makes you think it's your ISP?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
TROTER
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

The reason I think the problem is my ISP is because I have spent the last week checking every thing I could think possible my end to resolve this. 

As I said There is nothing wrong with my internet, no packet loss 380Mbps down, 37Mbps up and no problems connecting to other servers for example in the UK.  I am connected by ethernet and in modem mode, fresh install of windows and the game!

I can only conclude that it is the type of traffic (UDP) or rout to my server in France that is the problem, four years I have gamed on this server with very little problem.

Somebody with a understanding of how the traffic is managed within your core network and maybe able to trouble shoot this issue is required?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

a basic test would be to run a at traceroute to the server this will might show where the issues resides. since if the issue is outside the virignmedia network can be tricky to get resolved, could be one of the peers has messed up somewhere.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

TROTER
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Well the funny thing is that when I run a tracert to the server all is fine, I just don't know enough about networking to understand why that is the case?  Maybe game traffic using UDP gets handled differently? This is why I'm scratching my head!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

what game is this?

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
TROTER
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Squad on steam, I'm the only one with a bad ping and its just over the last two weeks.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

if your connection is fine for everything else that still isn't enough to pinpoint it to an ISP problem.
Unless the game server is on the VM network, you are on the VM network and everything in the middle is ont he VM network then the problem may well still be outside the VM network

Use Kudos to say thanks

tonycv51
Rising star
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Whilst it shouldnt make a difference what DNS are you using - you could try a different  one. 

0 Kudos