I have had virgin, and before that Blueyonder for years with no issue whatsoever.
In the last 2 weeks my download speeds from steam appear to be hard-capped at 1.4mb/sec, before this i would get in excess of 50mb/sec. I have done all the steam troubleshooting (changing region etc) and the usual super hub troubleshooting.
I don't have a VPN running, I have malwarebytes running which doesn't seem to be producing any issues.
I have just run a tracert to steam servers and found packet loss within virgins own network which is concerning:
Tracing route to store.steampowered.com [220.127.116.11] over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 4 ms 4 ms 5 ms 192.168.0.1 2 * * * Request timed out. 3 20 ms 16 ms 15 ms haye-core-2a-xe-202-0.network.virginmedia.net [18.104.22.168] 4 * * * Request timed out. 5 20 ms 15 ms 16 ms tele-ic-7-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [22.214.171.124] 6 15 ms 15 ms 12 ms m490-mp2.cvx3-a.ltn.dial.ntli.net [126.96.36.199] 7 11 ms 11 ms 10 ms a23-207-186-81.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [188.8.131.52]
Tracing route to legacy-sun.oraclegha.com [184.108.40.206] over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 15 ms 4 ms 3 ms 192.168.0.1 2 * * * Request timed out. 3 13 ms 14 ms 12 ms haye-core-2a-xe-202-0.network.virginmedia.net [220.127.116.11] 4 * * * Request timed out. 5 23 ms 15 ms 12 ms m686-mp2.cvx1-b.lis.dial.ntli.net [18.104.22.168] 6 14 ms 14 ms 19 ms 22.214.171.124 7 129 ms 130 ms 129 ms ae19.cr6-dal3.ip4.gtt.net [126.96.36.199] 8 138 ms 131 ms 127 ms ip4.gtt.net [188.8.131.52] 9 128 ms 127 ms 128 ms dal-iar-rtr-1-ae0.oracle.com [184.108.40.206] 10 163 ms 162 ms 155 ms ucf1-tar-rtr-2-xe-2-1-1.oracle.com [220.127.116.11] 11 174 ms 172 ms 173 ms ucf1-itr-rtr-1-xe-2-3-0.oracle.com [18.104.22.168] 12 * * * Request timed out. 13 169 ms 156 ms 155 ms lb-legacy-sun-cms-ucf.oracle.com [22.214.171.124]
What is going on? Do you need any more information?
The "Request Timed Out" isn't packet lose, it just means that the hop isnt responding to the request, if you were not getting to the end pount then that would be the problem, but quite clearly you are, this is quite normal.
Connecting the laptop to my personal hotspot on my phone breaks the cap, steam went up to 6mb/sec before I shut it off because I didn't want to use too much data. This suggests its definitely not steam and points at my internet.
I have checked another download manager (battle.net) and my speeds are again slow. Image: Battle.net
I have checked another speed test and that displays a WILDLY different result. Image: Speed test
It seems obvious to me that there is some sort of throttling going on here with regard to download managers on a service I am not supposed to be throttled on.
These problems also coincide with me renewing my virgin contract last Friday as well - this could just be purely coincidence.