Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Can’t connect to Playstation Network on PS4 or Mobile App

Hi there,

I can’t sign into the PSN anymore for some reason and this has been going on for around a week now. I’ve tried my PS4 on ethernet and wireless. I’ve tried the PlayStation app on my phone as well. We have two PS4 ad both have the issue

None of them sign in and give me the error code NP-40833-8

Iff I make a hotspot and attach my PS4 to my phones 4G then I can sign in.

I have been in contact with Playstation support and they had cconfirmed to me that I recieved an IP ban on the Monday and could not tell me why. The ban wsa lifted on Tuesday and then I recieved another 48 hour IP ban immediately after. It was confirmed Thursday that my IP is no longer banned and they have gone through every possible avenue to see why I was banned and they dont know why. They suggest it is something to do with Virgin

I looked up my IP repuation and its all in good standing as well.

Nothing else seems to have issues. Got a number of internet connected devices which are all ok. The only device having issues are the PS4s and Sony is saying it is a problem with my ISP

Any ideas of what is causing this and what I can do?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t connect to Playstation Network on PS4 or Mobile App

Hi AAfzal, thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear you've had some trouble connecting to PSN. There's no wider issues we're aware of that would be causing this to happen, and as you're not having problems connecting to other sites/servers so I'm a little unsure why they referred you here.

You could try factory-resetting the hub to see if that helps, but if this issue began when your IP was temporarily banned then I'd be inclined to suggest something needs changing at their end rather than ours to be honest.

Tom 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t connect to Playstation Network on PS4 or Mobile App

@AAfzal As Sony are doing the banning only they can tell you why it is happening.  The first line support staff may not have that information and have fobbed you off by suggesting that it is VM's fault, which it is not, but somebody within Sony must know.

The most common reason is that Sony (or more likely their security partner Akamai) are seeing suspicious traffic coming from your IP.  This could be the result of malware infection somewhere on your LAN or something seemingly innocuous like running a Plex media server that screen scrapes images from the web (Sony don't like that).  I'd recommend scanning all your devices for malware and check any IoT devices (CCT, Smart TV, Smart speakers, Fire stick, etc) are not compromised as they are often a source of malware.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos