Menu
Jamiesc93
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can someone help me with these errror messages please

I was wondering if someone could help my gaming had been unplayable for a while now, I’m getting the error messages posted below 

0 Kudos
Jamiesc93
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can someone help me with these errror messages please

Time Priority Description

28/04/2021 00:39:5noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/04/2021 00:34:18Warning!Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/04/2021 00:32:52criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/04/2021 00:32:41Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/04/2021 00:32:41criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/04/2021 00:32:40Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/04/2021 00:32:40criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/04/2021 00:32:40Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/04/2021 00:31:26criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/04/2021 00:30:36Warning!Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/04/2021 00:30:31criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/04/2021 00:30:31Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/04/2021 00:30:31criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
28/04/2021 00:30:31Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
27/04/2021 03:00:31noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
25/04/2021 22:41:29noticeDHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-bbt062-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
25/04/2021 22:41:29ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
23/04/2021 01:22:23criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/04/2021 10:41:29noticeDHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-bbt062-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/04/2021 10:41:29ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There's a few serious error messages in there, but on their own they don't tell a story.  Go back to the hub's status page (where the network log came from) and post the entire set of Downstream and Upstream data, then we can check for noise or power problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello @Jamiesc93,

Welcome back to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see you have been having issues while trying to game.

I was able to locate your account using your forums details, I looked on your Hub and I can not see any known errors on the Upstream or Downstream now, I can see you spoke to us on the 28th, can you tell me if this has now been resolved?

Look forward to your response.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Jamiesc93
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi no this has not been resolved yet, what are my next steps that you advise?

0 Kudos
Jamiesc93
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Still waiting for a reply? Can someone help 

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jamiesc93,

Can you tell me if you only experience this issue with the connection when gaming, or does this happen on other services/devices?

If this is only gaming, does it happen on one particular game/server or is this spread over multiple different ones?

Do you have any issue on devices connected via Ethernet cable or is this an issue restricted to Wi-Fi connections?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Jamiesc93
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have problems on all devices buffering etc I’d like to know what the error codes I posted mean please?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Jamiesc93 wrote:

I have problems on all devices buffering etc I’d like to know what the error codes I posted mean please?

On a Hub 3's network log, there will always be a range of error messages, with technical and unhelpful descriptions.  The vast majority of DHCP or LAN Login messages can usually be ignored.  Others depend on their frequency, because all cable modem connections tend to have some radio frequency noise, and will accumulate errors every so often.  In addition to how often these messages turn up, the severity of a problem can be indicated by conjunction between different error messages, plus other indicators including power levels, modulation levels, SNR data and upstream timeout counts, as well as external fault checkers like a Thinkbroadband BQM.  It is also important to observe the time stamps on error messages - a cluster of perhaps 5-8 serious errors within a ten minute period is probably down to a single network event, the same serious errors occurring spread across the day is more serious, indicating a continuing problem.  Note as well the possibility of "cascade errors", where the hub initially has a timeout on ranging (see below), can't recover that, sees one or more channels lost, and eventually ends up with a full sync failure, creating a string of logged errors that actually are only a single event.  A few errors when starting up the hub are no cause for concern, that's just the hub rubbing the sleep out of its eyes, and likewise errors caused by electrical disturbance such as mains surges or brownouts will often create errors that are not a cable connection fault.  

In terms of the error messages, I'll pick out the ones mentioned, there are others which are not material, or not featuring here. In understanding these, you need to know that your hub communicates by converting all digital communication up or down to/from an analogue radio frequency (RF) signal which it transmits via 28 channels through the coax cable to a Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) that sits at the top of the local coax network.  The CMTS converts all the mixed RF analogue signals from the hundreds of customer hubs connected to it back to digital, and pipes this back to VM's internet exit points.  In simple terms, your hub is a modem, and the CMTS is a stuffing great multi-user modem, and the hub uses its upstream connection to keep all 28 channels synchronised with the CMTS, at the right frequency and power levels.

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure: Broadly speaking the most serious connection failure, where the hub cannot detect the synchronisation data that is transmitted by the CMTS every 20 milliseconds.  As a result the hub loses synchronisation with the CMTS, all internet connectivity is lost, and the hub has to renegotiate all channels from scratch, taking about 7 minutes to do this.  This takes as long as, and to a user looks like the modem has spontanteously rebooted.

RCS Partial Service: The next most serious common error.  This means that the hub is still getting sync signals from the CMTS but has lost communication on one or more of its 28 channels, although the remainder are reporting OK.  The hub needs to renegotiate those channels that have dropped.  The hub will look as though all is OK, but any internet connectivity will be dropped out, causing speed or latency problems, and if it can't regain the individual channels it may revert to a full re-registration with the CMTS, in which case it will again look like a reboot and take 7 minutes.

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out (and related but less common T2 and T4 timeouts).  T3 timeouts are more common than RCS Partial Service, broadly similar in effect, but most cable connections will see the odd T3 timeout, and if infrequent they are no cause for concern.  They mean the hub has not had a response from the CMTS to its upstream ranging requests that keep everything working at the right frequency and power, often due to upstream RF noise.  A momentary drop out is often experienced if the hub can regain communication by increasing power levels, but if that doen't happen/work, then the hub drops all channels and tries to re-register with the CMTS, creating the symptoms seen with RCS Partial Service.  As a generalisation a T4 timeout alone is often indicative of downstream problems (although if it is a one off it wouldn't be material), T3 timeouts usually indicate upstream issues, and may be associated with channel loss, dropped modulation or power problems on the 4 upstream channels.

Lost MDD Timeout; Refers to loss of system messaging between hub and CMTS, despite how that sounds, MDD timeouts are usually of no significance to the user, but sometimes crops up with the other moder serious errors.

So, you asked, you got.  Never let it be said that the Virgin Media Forum ignores questions. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Laurie_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jamiesc93,

Thanks for getting back in touch. I think @Andrew-G has done a very impressive job of explaining the error codes for you, thank you Andrew!

@Jamiesc93, could you please give us a little bit more information about the kind of problems that you have been having? Are your devices connected via WiFi or are you using a wired connection? How are your internet speeds? Have you tried running a speed test using an ethernet cable from a laptop/computer directly to your Hub?

Please give us as much information as possible so that we can look into this for you.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team
0 Kudos