cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Recommendations

thomasedwardkin
Joining in

Finally free of the awful service that VM have given me for the last 18 months. I’ve had a BQM setup on my 350mbs service for over a year now showing constant packet loss and latency spikes. A kind user on this forum responded to a previous post of mine highlighting it was due to over utilisation within the area which would never be resolved. They were right…

my question now is who would you recommend for a reliable internet connection for low ping, and no latency issues. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any FTTP ISP using Openreach should be okay, and don't forget to check if there are any Altnets in the area as well.

One thing to watch is if the ISP will allow a third party router to be used in place of their own.  If they don't I would be wary of using them, as I prefer to supply my own networking equipment.  Some ISP routers are quite locked down and allow no user configuration.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you've had your fingers burned by poor customer service from VM, then you might want to consider the smaller ISPs who major on customer service.  AAISP, Aquiss, CIX, IDNet, and uno.  You will pay more than larger ISPs, whether it's a price worth paying only you can decide. 

I'm with Aquiss now over Openreach FTTP, with them you have to provide your own mesh/router as they don't provide one at all.  

My Broadband Ping - Aquiss/Openreach 330 Mbps

There are several internet service providers (ISPs) in the UK that offer low latency and reliable connections. Some popular ones include Virgin Media, BT, TalkTalk, Sky, and Plusnet. It is recommended to research and compare these ISPs based on their coverage in your area, speed, price, and customer reviews to determine which one would best suit your needs. Additionally, it may be helpful to consider factors such as the type of connection (fiber optic, cable, or DSL), and any potential restrictions or additional fees.

Spitfire offer some of the connection types that are often not seen by a domestic ISP

https://www.spitfire.co.uk/