Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Best Router

Hi 

new to the forum so please be kind....

anyway I currently have 350mb broadband at home and the WIFI I receive upstairs is extremely bad from lagging issues when my toe sons are playing PS4 (Fifa and Fortnite)

Engineer attended last night and recommended I get a router to help with tbe issues so my question is what would be the best router to get for a budget of £50-130 max.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Best Router

could get something like -> https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC86U-AiProtection-Accelerator-Aggregation/dp/B075WFL15D/ref=asc_df... right on the higher side of your budget.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Forget about wifi and try to get an ethernet cable up to the console.  You could even add a switch at the end for more ports if required.

I would never recommend wifi for gaming.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'd second the Asus recommendation above if wired isn't an option.  Bought one last week after sending a Netgear XR300 back. The Asus has been superb with 2 Xboxes, PS4 Pro and a Switch.  Xbox consoles are used at the same time.  Admittedly, they are connected with Powerline adaptors but WiFi performance has been superb throughout the house also - 500+Mbps wireless in most rooms.  

The Asus has some gaming features that may help also.  Worth stretching to the top of your budget for this one imho.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It is the same as buying a car, TV or a mobile phone.  There are lots of models with different features at different price points so difficult to recommend the "best" one that will suit everybody.

Deciding on a budget is a good start, I'd also suggest coming up with a list of features you want/need the router to have (e.g. parental controls, USB slot for device sharing, etc).  Then draw up a shortlist of routers in your price range that have the features you want and see what reviews they get from actual users on places like Amazon.

If you narrow it down and want feedback on specific models then there might be somebody on the forum with the same model that can provide feedback.

I often feel there is a slight Asus bias on this forum, or at least an anti Netgear bias 😏. I have always used Netgear routers and have had no issues, my current R7000 is over 5 years old and still going strong.  I was pleasantly surprised that after recently moving to the 350Mbs tier and getting a better mobile phone I could get 350Mbps download via wireless.  I have used a PS3 and PS4 without any issues, although they are wired rather than wireless and I would second @Adduxi's comment about not using wireless for gaming.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks All

I have decided to buy the Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000) router and awaiting for it to be delivered by Amazon, has anyone got one or used one before?

only option I have to hard wire is to either go through the whole house (inside) or outside but that seems to much hassle.

will let you know how i get on with the router

thanks for your messages

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, wounding if you can help. I use the r7000 as well and it has been power cycling for no reason. 

My setup

VM Superhub3

R7000

Netgear powerline adapters for one xbox

2 x WiFi extenders Netgear

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I would always go for an ASUS over Netgear any day of the week.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@wivster I would try doing a factory reset.

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

If that doesn't work try asking over at the Netgear forum (https://community.netgear.com/t5/English/ct-p/English) as it is not a VM issue and there are a lot of Netgear haters on this forum so don't expect many useful responses.

I have never experienced this with my R7000 and or any of my previous Netgear routers.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos