Menu
GBL123
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Bad ping online gaming

So I got the m200 package from VM because I was told it would beat my old Vodafone package when it comes to online gaming and the ping etc etc. Ping with a £20 contract on Vodafone was 30 it is now with VM at 65. Iv had an engineer out who said no faults got onto the customer service ested again and said no problems and basicly tough deal with it nothing they can do. I was told by 1 of VM customer service team this was the package to get for online gaming. My son plays in tournaments with his friends and hasn't been able to since its been installed. Its a disgrace I was misinformed and sold a dud product. But can any1 give me any suggestions on how to improve it

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bad ping online gaming

Almost certainly, there is nothing you can do to improve it. If gaming and low latency is more important than raw download speeds, and you are still within the 14 days since installation then my advice would be to cancel the VM connection and go back to Vodafone or another DSL supplier.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Who told you that VM would be better than an Openreach ISP for gaming?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
r3m0dul8
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried to disable uPnP and set ports manually?

Something in the past that has always worked for me (self-hosting services and gamer)

0 Kudos
GBL123
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

customer service rep. even other day when i phoned about problem the guy on other end of phone said oh yes we should be beating vodafone when it comes to this. 

0 Kudos
GBL123
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

il try disabling it and get back to you

0 Kudos
r3m0dul8
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@GBL123 wrote:

il try disabling it and get back to you

You'll need to disable it AND set port forwarding rules (AND - imo - manually set IP addresses for all of your devices)

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If at the time you took out your contract you were told that your VM connection would be suitable for gaming, and there is an over-utilisation problem that means it is not, then you've been misled, whether intentionally or not.

Inside the 14 day cooling off period you just use those cooling off rights to cancel.  If you're outside of your 14 day cooling off period, then you would be able to force VM to release you from contract without penalty, although you'd probably have to establish that there was over-utilisation (for example by a BQM), and then raise a formal complaint with VM demanding release from contract without penalty.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
r3m0dul8
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Andrew-G wrote:

If at the time you took out your contract you were told that your VM connection would be suitable for gaming, and there is an over-utilisation problem that means it is not, then you've been misled, whether intentionally or not.

Inside the 14 day cooling off period you just use those cooling off rights to cancel.  If you're outside of your 14 day cooling off period, then you would be able to force VM to release you from contract without penalty, although you'd probably have to establish that there was over-utilisation (for example by a BQM), and then raise a formal complaint with VM demanding release from contract without penalty.

Or there's that, seems a bit extreme (dam I'm sounding like a VM Enthusiast!)

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@r3m0dul8  seems a bit extreme 

Well, if you'd been lured into a contract by specific promises of fitness for a particular purpose, and it turned out that the connection was specifically unsuitable for that purpose, then you might not want to sit out an 18 month contract?

I'm not advocating that or any particular course of action, just pointing out options for the OP, and they'll have to weigh that against other options - primarily sit tight and pray that VM do fix it.  Certainly isn't unheard of for VM to resolve over-utilisation, the main problem is even with a fault reference and fix date there's no way of customers knowing whether there's a real fix coming tomorrow, a fix coming in six months, or no fix planned ever.

0 Kudos