Menu
madindehead
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Bad ping - lots of spikes. You know where this is going!

So I think we know where this is going.

Basically seeing bad ping in games. My BQM looks like everyone else's around here. Apparently typical for an area with over utilisation. I see rubber banding in games and generally bad ping. 

Ignore the red bands of packet loss - I forgot to allow the ping replies. 

This is today: 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/3e6d4d0187a233b790a0e7474d13c6ec10bc119b-01-12-2020

Levels etc all look fine. I can post later. 

I think I'm in a DOSCIS 3.1 area (everything I can see based on post code makes me think I am). 

Just hoping someone from Virgin sees this and can offer me a Hub 4. If not, I'll have to change my ISP. 

0 Kudos
kieranarstall
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bad ping - lots of spikes. You know where this is going!

Yeah they're totally gash and have no plan to rectify this. If I could change I would!
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The forum staff are exceptionally busy at the moment and you may not get a reply for quite a while.  Even so, and assuming that the BQM quietens down overnight and confirms over-utilisation, you on your own getting a Hub 4 won't solve your problem, and because D3.1 is more demanding of line quality it could make things worse initially.  

For the Hub 4/D3.1 strategy to resolve your problem I believe the following apply:

• The problem needs to be on the coax network up to the CMTS,
  • and it must be a level of over-utilisation less than the circa 15% bandwidth gains of D3.1,
  • and a significant proportion of all users on that segment need to be using the Hub 4 as the benefits are collective, not singular

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

madindehead
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info Andrusher. 

So basically, I would probably be better off just ditching this? I'm on a rolling contract as I cannot commit beyond a 6 month contract right now. That is a problem wherever I go. Typical that broadband companies can't work for their customers. 

0 Kudos
madindehead
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just adding my BQM that shows it quietening down overnight. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8ed54cdba6959372d89d364be8deb8ed3558969a-02-12-2020

Not absolutely perfect, but near as damn it. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Actually that overnight bit is as near perfect as you'll normally get on a DOCSIS cable connection - the tiny yellow fringe is inherent from the RF technology used.  It does also conclusively confirm over-utilisation.  In terms of will it be fixed, possibly.  When will it be fixed, probably not soon.  

As for contract length, why not try phoning up smaller ISPs who might be more flexible than the big ISPs about contract length?  Most of the small, well run ISPs (on the top right hand side of this page) are still offering 12 month contracts, unlike Sky, VM, BT etc who all have these ridiculous 18 month minimum terms, but being less process led they might agree to a six month term.  Direct Save Telecom actually advertise 30 day contracts, but have poor customer service reviews. 

The other thought is that Openreach ISPs are less restricted than VM when it comes to moving, in that most would allow you to continue your contract at almost any UK address, whereas VM are currently constrained by their circa 50% national coverage.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

madindehead
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that information. 

Yeah, I remember running a BQM on my Virgin Media line years ago in Glasgow. When it was fine, it was like that overnight graph. Really disappointing. 

Thanks for the link to ISP review. Turns out I can get GFast where I live, so that may be an option. Only downside is that it's 10 working days turnround. I am already a week into my Virgin contract. I'm really keen to get this sorted now. I realise that it might get fixed, but that's really not good enough for me. Even a GFast connection is going to be fast enough, and seems likely to have better latency. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Good luck with whatever you choose - if you can be bothered, let us know how that goes after a month or so.  If it all goes badly the rest of us will learn, if it all goes fabulously then it'll help pressure VM to adopt a clearer strategy on over-utilisation. 

I'd guess that if VM were able to give a cast-iron guarantee that the problem would be resolved by (say) February, you and other customers affected might well be happy to stay, and it's unfortunate that the company's current over-utilisation strategy appears to have core elements of prevarication and obfuscation.

0 Kudos