Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 1 of 1
Flag for a moderator

Bad advice from League of Legends Support

On 2nd November I received the following PM from @shoham111 

hi ravenstar68. i recently watched one of your comments on a post about someone that has a problem with the league of legends client

the solution the support team gave him is the same as they gave me 

GaiaCalliope: It seems that your IP is blacklisted, this happens usually when the threats in your computer spam the internet in attempt of spreading, but it could also be caused by something else.
- Scan your computer, you can use Malwarebytes: https://www.malwarebytes.com/dl-confirm to do so. (This is just a recommended precaution)
- Right after that, you can whitelist your IP by using **Project HoneyPot** https://www.projecthoneypot.org/white_list.php. Fill the form out, putting ""Dynamic IP"" as the reason. Keep in mind that this usually takes ~1hr to take effect.
If you're still encountering issues after that I strongly recommend contacting your ISP to remove the blacklisting from your IP or simpler, to completely change it.

but i understand that this doesnt really help, anyway you can help me figure the problem out?

I did message them back asking them to create a new thread on this Forum but as of 5/11/2019 they have not done so.

Can I start by saying that this Forum works because people post their problems on here, and the community comes together to try and help solve problems.

While the PM system does have it's uses, particularly when sharing sensitive information with Forum Staff - it's not ideal to PM users out of the blue.

1. It's considered rude.
  2. If a problem is dealt with exclusively via PM - other users can't use the information to help solve their own problems.

So I will repeat my request to @shoham111 to start a new thread detailing their issue - in order that the community AND Virgin Media can come together to try and come up with a resolution.

However I am going to address some of the points raised in their PM as this is the second time I have seen Support at League of Legends giving this.

On Blacklisting

Here again is what LOL support said

GaiaCalliope: It seems that your IP is blacklisted, this happens usually when the threats in your computer spam the internet in attempt of spreading, but it could also be caused by something else.
- Scan your computer, you can use Malwarebytes: https://www.malwarebytes.com/dl-confirm to do so. (This is just a recommended precaution)

Let me make it clear that most residential users SHOULD be on at least one blacklist and possibly a few more.  This is because there is a class of blacklist that lists IP addresses that SHOULD NOT be hosting mail servers.  Ideally all public addresses that are allocated via DHCP - which residential addresses are, fall into this category.  These policy blacklists DO NOT list sources of spam.

Furthermore even those lists that do identify spammers, aren't used by game servers to block players either.

I'll try and explain the purpose of blacklists in more detail.

Blacklists do not block web access!

Blacklists were created to protect email servers from spammers.  But the blacklist providers do not block traffic.  Rather they provide lists of IP addresses that should not be trusted when receiving mail.

It's also important to understand that there are two classes of mail transaction:

Submission (Outbound mail)  This normally takes place on port 587 (StartTLS) or 465 (SSL/TLS) and requires authentication from the user sending the mail.

Delivery (Inbound Mail) This ALWAYS occurs on port 25 and while it was initially not encrypted nowadays mail sent to these servers MAY be encrypted with StartTLS.  However deliveries can't use password authentication as the sending and receiving servers are not associated with each other.

Blacklists essentially contain lists of IP addresses that should not be trusted by inbound servers to receive mail from.

Essentially the mail server does a DNS lookup using the blacklists servers and will either get a result 127.0.0.x meaning the IP is listed or NXDOMAIN - meaning the IP is not listed.

After that it is up to the email administrator to decide what they want to do with the connection.  They may terminate the connection there and then, or they may deliver the mail to their spam folder.

Game servers SHOULD NOT be using blacklists to decide whether or not gamer's can connect to their servers.  I find it highly unlikely that LOL would do this.

Whiltelisting at Project Honeypot

Here's the second part again:

- Right after that, you can whitelist your IP by using **Project HoneyPot** https://www.projecthoneypot.org/white_list.php. Fill the form out, putting ""Dynamic IP"" as the reason. Keep in mind that this usually takes ~1hr to take effect.

Project Honeypot is a project to set up fake email addresses to catch spammers.  They seed the internet in such a way that normal users can't find the fake addresses but webbots scraping web sites for email addresses can.

The aim is to grab IP addresses attempting to deliver mail to these fake email addresses.  Again given that dynamic IP addresses should not be delivering mail - Project Honeypot should not be white-listing based on this criteria.

Furthermore - as this is related to protecting INBOUND email servers.  Being white-listed at project Honeypot should make no difference to being able to connect to the game servers.

If you are listed on the CSS

Bear in mind that while the PBL listing will not cause you problems.  Being on the SBL in particular the CSS will cause problems when sending mail via Virgin Media's or BT's outbound mail servers.  While this use of the CSS is not recommended, it can act to warn you of something on your network sending spam.  So if you are on the CSS do follow my advice here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

And if you need help in that regard start a thread in the email section.

What about my issue with the game?

If you are having trouble connecting to ANY servers.  You do need to post up traceroutes to the game servers using tools like pingplotter

http://www.pingplotter.com/products/free.html?pk_campaign=header

However I should point out that the last hop does not appear to respond to ICMP.  It is however an important first step.

Target Name: 185.40.65.1
         IP: 185.40.65.1
  Date/Time: 11/05/2019 10:12:17 - 11/05/2019 10:22:17

Hop  Sent  PL%    Min     Max    Avg  Host Name / [IP]
  1   105    0   0.92    8.42   2.06  bthub [192.168.1.254]
  2   104  100      0       0      0   [-]
  3   104  100      0       0      0   [-]
  4   105    0  17.00   49.00  19.41  31.55.187.180 [31.55.187.180]
  5   105    0  17.00  111.56  20.54  core1-hu0-15-0-6.ukcore.bt.net [213.121.192.80]
  6   105    0  17.74   60.02  22.12  peer7-et-3-1-6.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.252.234]
  7   105    0  17.00  141.34  22.20  166-49-128-32.eu.bt.net [166.49.128.32]
  8   105    0  17.91  108.90  21.36  linx-e.riotdirect.net [195.66.238.186]
  9   104  100      0       0      0  185.40.65.1 [185.40.65.1]

This can catch out the unwary.

If you are experiencing issues - please start a new thread in the gaming section.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped