Menu
Tander
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Bad Ping

Hi need help badly, for about 2 weeks now iv had horrendous ping and lossed packets when i play games on my PC. Some lag spikes go above 350ms. Been using  broadband quality monitor since the 5th and on there it looks like its during peak hours, starting from 10am till 10pm on a night. Iv had an engineer round to check the line and all if fine, iv also got a new mondem on route. has anyone else had these issues and is there any way around them? I know it sounds daft, but iv just had new neighbours and its only started since they had had virgin installed.

0 Kudos
unhappygamer527
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bad Ping

Unfortunately not.. check the reply to the same topic below.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/High-ping-packet-loss/m-p/4567424#M64501

I've spent hours and hours reading each thread in this forum as i'm experiencing the same issue. 

Looks like the only solution is to continue on with terrible ping/latency and wait for VM to either fix the issue of over-utilisation locally, or wait for your neighbours to move out.. which ever happens first.. (probably the latter)

0 Kudos
Tander
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, not good news then! looks like 3 mb broadband from BT it is then 😞

0 Kudos
Jresty100
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately nothing you can do, its over utilisation and sold demand in your area.

All VM care about as an ISP is turnover and download speed which generates more customers. 

Your better of trying the second best "speed" ISP, then track the ping on your 30 day free trial to see if it is better.

That is what I will be doing. 

Tander
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Update had a new router ..... did nothing to change my ping and high jitter, the only difference i get, is when i put the router in to modem mode. any one got any clues on that ?

0 Kudos