cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Fibre vs Virgin Media.

Blairian7
On our wavelength

Below is Virgin Media on a good day. 

Virgin 350 on a good day.Virgin 350 on a good day.

Below is BT Fibre 900 on day one.

BT 900 day one!BT 900 day one!

If you can... leave Virgin Media. They think speed is everything. 1 year of disconnects and packet loss and dropped call and lost income with virgin because they don't understand or care about stability. Speed is everything... Now they are not king of speed anymore and BT services are 100% better. Customer services based in UK. Will not go back to Virgin and would advise you to avoid them at all costs. BT 100mbs will be better the Virgin 1gb. Trust me. I rolled back to Virgin 350mb from 1gb after a day! 

12 REPLIES 12

My parents had ADSL Max (not an unbundled exchange, BT only) and were 3.20km away from it. Thankfully due to numerous faults the cabling was replaced partially and we got 8mbps from it using Sky at the time as they use a higher transmit power than BT/Talk Talk so their DLM kept an 8mbps sync whereas the others used to hover around 5-6mbps.

I feel your pain - after emailing the BDUK project for their region, a couple of years later they got upgraded to full FTTP - but for the first 2 years, they had latency. One day there was an area outage, and that seems to have mostly been fixed now. Mum lived as only property in a farm field, but 9 miles for major city centre, and only 1.2 miles from where Virgin Media's network ended. So hardly not remote rural. The village, but large village 3.20km away where Exchange is, had FTTC everywhere.

Fingers crossed you may get FTTP 🙂

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@cje85 VM has been marketed on speed for many years but what will be their major selling point a few years from now? As things stand, prices are high, customer service is rock bottom, upload/latency are well behind the FTTP providers. Once the speed advantage has gone, what is left.

I'll tell you what's left!  M&A, the perennial refuge of directors scoundrels who don't have a clue.  Why put in the painful, hard slog to resolve difficult and long standing performance issues in your own business, when you can ignore them, and sit in meetings with rich, pompous City bankers, enjoy expense account lunches from advisers, accountants, and consultants, all explaining what a fabulous value creating opportunity this is?

And in this case, it's the VM/O2 merger, and the grand plan is (a) cut costs by more than half a billion quid a year, (b) both parent companies to divvy up £7 billion in cash between them, and (c) use VM's network to pump 5G traffic through.

You can imagine what will happen to both customer service and network investment if they need to save that much in operating costs...and then, if they pump 5G traffic into VM's already rather taxed network, well it doesn't bear thinking about.  O2 claim to have "36.2 million customer connections", given the way that VM's upstream had such widespread constipation during lockdown, I can't see there being that much spare capacity available across VM's network.  My background is in strategy for large corporates, and my heart always sank whenever it became known that the directors had decided they wanted to buy another company (or worse still many, as part of an "acquisitive growth strategy").  It always panned out badly, with benefits below business case, synergy benefits minimal, and costs higher.  

I saw highs of 509 ms latency to EU Silvermoon when I was a Virgin customer.

On League of Legends EUW (Hosted in Amsterdam btw) I would see constant pings of 120+ when I was with VM.

On BT 900 FTTP my latency sits around 11-13ms on WoW and around 16-18ms on League of Legends.

League is a latency sensitive game, so going from 120+ to 16-18ms is definitely noticeable and I feel mass improvements in my gameplay.

I had BT FTTP installed about 6 weeks ago, I've yet to experience any sort of speed decline or drop out.

Left Virgin Media in 2020 after being fobbed off one too many times about over utilisation.

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png