Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

BQMs

Might be a silly questions, but how do you setup a correct BQM?

I seems to have couple of, set-up by IP or domain name but for some reason they look OK in terms of ping and packet loss. In reality I'm experiencing insane ping and packet loss throughout the day, if I were to do a ping test.

Just need the means to prove this properly before getting support through the forums on my connection issues.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: BQMs

Just set it up via your VM IP, and let it do the rest of the job, if you having ping and packet loss posting graph will help, also posting stats from your help downstream and upstream and network log will help too 

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So BQMs have to be setup to ping your own VM IP, rather than a random domain? (Google, gov.uk, BBC, etc.)

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@NovaProspekt wrote:

So BQMs have to be setup to ping your own VM IP, rather than a random domain? (Google, gov.uk, BBC, etc.)

Yes, that's the point of them, to check YOUR connection.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ofc it is..I knew I was missing the point..

It was only for couple of minutes, but the BQM is now matching my ping tests...

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ae885152480818adcbee2805afc87d083a6cf9f8-17-11-2020

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@NovaProspekt wrote:

Ofc it is..I knew I was missing the point..

It was only for couple of minutes, but the BQM is now matching my ping tests...

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ae885152480818adcbee2805afc87d083a6cf9f8-17-11-2020

It looks terrible already!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I agree.  Seeing that much yellow and blue mid-evening usually means one thing.........

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've been having this for months now, BQMs will at least be more transparent how bad it is..

Won't even bother trying to post this on the forums and ask for help, as I've already had many conversations with VM already + engineers. Just the standard overutilization in my area I guess that doesn't want to be acknowledged unfortunately.

I'm getting another connection setup-up in a week though (Ghost Gaming Broadband), so I can at least game in peace, while in the meantime I'm sorting out my early exit from VM, so I can cancel ASAP..

I've been a VM customer over 5+ years, never encountered such poor quality network or non-existing customer service...

Fun times.

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@NovaProspekt wrote:

I've been having this for months now, BQMs will at least be more transparent how bad it is..

Won't even bother trying to post this on the forums and ask for help, as I've already had many conversations with VM already + engineers. Just the standard overutilization in my area I guess that doesn't want to be acknowledged unfortunately.

I'm getting another connection setup-up in a week though (Ghost Gaming Broadband), so I can at least game in peace, while in the meantime I'm sorting out my early exit from VM, so I can cancel ASAP..

I've been a VM customer over 5+ years, never encountered such poor quality network or non-existing customer service...

Fun times.

I have a feeling that once 1Gbps is rolled out by cityfibre/BT VM are going to lose a large number of customers.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Pretty much, all depends if you are lucky with your area. Doesn't look like mine will get any gigabit connection in the next 1-2 years 😞
0 Kudos