Menu
RTC87
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Awful wifi gaming performance

Hi all, I will preface this by saying I'm new to Virgin and in my cooling off period until this saturday so really need to make a decision how to proceed.

After having an initial problem which I thought was over utilisation latency (still may be the major factor) I have done some testing while connected to the PS5 via ethernet and WIFI and found results crazily different.

I have the 200MB package and while connected via ethernet at around 6PM the PS5 was displaying a consistent 170MB download speed and achieve Call of Duty latency at 30-50ms (not fantastic but given the times I can live with that).

Over Wifi I am getting download speeds of 1MB (YES ONE!) varying all the way to 130MB and changing almost every other minute. My latency shoots up in game to 180ms - 400ms which is unplayable. At the time of testing the only other device actively using the network was my daughters tablet which was on a Zoom call. Said call was active during both tests.

Below is a link to my BQM and also a snapshot of activity, can anyone offer any insight or advice. The Hub in located in the room across from where the console is and longterm ethernet connectivity is impractical.

Any helpful will be much appreciated.

BQM -

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/64c3d7e41f465695572b5a79b798e5e33c...

[url=https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/64c3d7e41f465695572b5a79b798e5e33c...]

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Awful wifi gaming performance

Honest advice: If you've got an easy return to your previous arrangements, then cancel under your cooling off rights.  Your BQM shows over utilisation, the company shouldn't have signed you up if there's existing OU problems, and whilst there's a good chance (but no guarantee) that the problem will clear when lockdown ends, do you really want to take a bet that will be the case.

When speaking to VM, don't believe any fix dates in the next month or two, there's a sad history of those dates not being met.. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
RTC87
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. 

It's such a frustrating situation, my fastest alternative is guaranteed speed of 43MB download from SKY, it is probably better to have consistency over the spikes I have now but horrible to have to give up the download speed. 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Well, waiting out the end of Covid remains an option, and for most affected areas will resolve the pressures causing this.  But your guess is as good as anyone else's about how long that will be.  And whilst it's a much lower probability outcome, if the problem doesn't resolve, you'll have over another year locked in, or potentially a bureaucratic fight to be released without penalty.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You game on WIFI. WOW

I am guessing your SH is in router mode.

My Router is loacted in another room to where my PC and console are. I run a 20Metre Flat Cat6 lead under the carpet to the room.

There it plugs into an 8 port 1Gig Switch.

I game on PC and PS4Pro wired, with No issues at all. If anything since moving to the 1Gig Service, my latency has improved.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos