Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Awful packet loss and latency for months (need engineer)

My latency has been terrible for months, since lockdown, I'm certain its due to over utilisation as its only upstream being effected but then could be my power levels. I'm leaving Virgin if this problem persists so how would I go about booking an engineer to come and check my equipment because the person on the other side of the helpline didn't know what ping and packet loss was.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Bad customer service and Support , Northampton

For a number of months I and several others have been complaining about poor latency and packet loss in the NN area due to over utilisation, we have been given a number of fix dates which have all passed, today I finally got through to the helpline after weeks of trying, they told  me there was no faults in my area therefore they can't send out an engineer (although I have previous messages with virgin employees on forums saying there is an ongoing problem in my area). She then told me Its not Virgins issue and its something to do with the PC/consoles that are connected when its 100% not and I've explained its packet loss and congested upstream traffic. I was then told to pinhole reset my router which I've done multiple times, the phone call was then left at there's nothing for Virgin to do and its my problem to fix due to it being my equipment. ( I also have months of BQM graphs to prove its not my equipment, but Virgin not being able to handle the volume of users in the area ) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bad customer service and Support , Northampton

@alfiebench Please don't create multiple threads for the same issue, it doesn't get your issue resolved any quicker and is against the forum rules.  It also makes it very hard for the forum staff to follow what is going on when they don't have the full history of your issue in one thread.  I have merged your latest threads, although you seem to have started a few others.

If you issue is a utilisation one, then it is with the network team and they don't do house calls. A field engineer can only resolve issues with the VM kit in your house and the cable between your house and the green box on your street, not utilisation issues which are resolved further up the chain.

If there is an ongoing area issue then VM should have supplied your with a fault ref and quoting that on here should get you an update from the staff about the latest estimated fix date.  The call centre staff should know about this too, but life is too short to to go into the number of things they should know but don't.

In the past some utilisation faults took months or years to fix and know amount of calling VM is likely to speed it up, just wastes your time.  You have two options wait for a fix or change to another ISP.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Awful packet loss and latency for months (need engineer)

Thank you for the post Aldiebench.

Could you please post your network logs from your Hub settings? You can find the information to do so on the bottom of your Hub, please ensure any personal information such as IP addresses are removed. It may also help to run a BQM if possible.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos