Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Awful latency every day for the last 2 months

BR area:

I have been experiencing poor latency all day since mid March without exception. It doesn't seem like a coincidence that this is the same time the lock down started and everyone got stuck inside with increased internet usage. A month ago on the phone I was told that the issues are occurring because there are too many people using the current package so we upgraded to the 350 as he said it would fix the issue. After waiting a month for it to activate I can confirm it didn't fix anything.  I had the exact same problem a few years ago and it took a year for the infrastructure to be upgraded to handle the load in my area. I don't want a repeat of that.

It seems odd to me that there were no problems before mid March with the exact same amount of usage coming from this house. I don't believe its a problem with my hardware because its been working fine for so long and nothing has been changed. My PC is connected over Ethernet so I don't believe its some sort of issue with the wireless signal.

Before lockdown March 14th, and now

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/18d099ebbfae85da3e22bfe8100fed301c...

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b110771b2b398f3df9ee2148d37e106dd9...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Awful latency every day for the last 2 months

Well, could be a local equipment problem, and you'll have to hope for that, because its the only thing that might be fixed!

In circumstances of "over-utilisation", which initially looks much like your BQM, fixing the problem does often take years (cost, planning, access, technical limits assuming VM indeed will spend the money), but looking at your BQM I'm not sure it is so simple.  Things may not be ideal, but they calm down markedly after 6pm, more so after 10pm.  So what this suggests to me is that the problem is indeed an excess of home workers, putting too much load on the local network.  Note that shop, factory, road workers can't work from home, so the impact of more home working is very localised - if you live in a nice area of detached houses (like I do) then you'll see more of this.  But when us keyboard warriors log off the corporate VPN, things get better.

Now, even after 10pm things on your BQM aren't perfect, and what that suggests to me is that your local network is (under ordinary circumstances) fully subscribed, and just coping.  Realistically, VM won't invest to increase capacity due to capacity problems under Covid, so nothing is going to change soon.  And even when the office-bound masses (people like me) return to work, you'll probably still see that dodgy post 10pm performance.  If that's the case, then you need to choose between VM's bandwidth ("speed") and Openreach's latency.  Here's a link to a BQM for an elderly relative's Openreach connection that I keep an eye on.  And that beauty is costing £35 a month.  Pity they aren't a gamer, eh?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

That's a dream BQM. I would have switched to another provider years ago but virgin media are the only ones who offer fibre at my location. I don't doubt that these problems will persist for a long time going by everything you've mentioned but i suppose I can always dream.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mayes9815,

Sorry to hear about your latency issues and can understand that it's annoying. I've had a look at your details and can't see any issues except that your upstream power levels are a little high hitting on our top range but it's just a little bit. I also can't see any high utilisation tickets either. Can you confirm whether the issue is like this every day even when using one device? Can you keep your BQM longer and post it for us so we can see it for over 24 hours?

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for replying. The latency issues have been happening every day for the last few months. The weekends are usually better as youll see on the live graph but ill post the whole of last week monday to friday so you can also see a normal week.  I'd urge you to have a look next working week to see better the latency issues. Id upload the images but theyre broken for some reason. It also doesnt seem to matter how many people are using it at a single time. sometimes its just me and others its a few.

live:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8e7a77b61d7a9636a6e096d9db0141d8fc...

monday:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b110771b2b398f3df9ee2148d37e106dd9...

Tuesday:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/488cc907043565a7c116ff4c2763653d31...

Wednesday:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a2423d49262bfc2a98695f3b6cd8270937...

Thursday:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/05252a5d6559d35eefafb4df829b206fa3...

Friday:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/65ccf0edf95da192189f9d4d81b49858e6...

That's a pretty standard week. Its looked like that for a few months. Thanks for looking into the problem. Hopefully its something that can be fixed 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello fellow BR sufferer - 

Having exactly the same - my BQM is identical to yours. We're a family of streamers. gamers and (now) home workers. If it wasn't the only choice for fibre in Bromley, i'd have left years ago.

Definitely not worth the money

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us Mayas9815,

Sorry to see the BQM's we do seem to be having a problem with your connection, with the stats of the hub are within spec.

I've booked you an engineer to visit you to take a closer look, I've dropped you a PM to advise you when they will be with you

I'd advise you to show the engineer the BQM's when they arrive at your property

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to jump on this, but can you do the same for me @David_Bn?

Link to BQM 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi madgeman,

I've looked into your account, are you aware of your area having high utilisation?

This was identified on 01/04 and is running until 17/06 under the reference F007922978

Have you been made aware of this?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Not been made aware no, and my service status doesn't show anything - all 'green'. 

Can you give me an update on this? As in, it's been ongoing since April, but due to be fixed in a just under 10 days - is that correct?

0 Kudos