Menu
spudas2k
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Area 04 Network Upgrades Progress?

Can anyone give me an update on how far along the local network upgrades have gotten?

Only after asking to leave Virgin was an engineer sent to my house only to lie to my face and tell me everything would be fixed in 2 weeks (this was more than 2 weeks ago) , whilst also confirming that there was no issue with any hardware etc on my end.

Apparently there was work being done on the Wolverhampton node ('splitting' it, in his words) and next was the Walsall node. If this is truly the case I need to know how long it will be until the work is complete and I can expect service to go back to normal, because this will determine how much longer I will be using Virgin Broadband before switching. He also said there would be a ticket raised where I could track progress, cant see this anywhere..

According to my bill I am Area 04..

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
Router_noob
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 04 Network Upgrades Progress?

Hi there I don't know how long they will take but I'm in area 4 as well and what internet problems are you having because I'm wondering if they are the same as mine?? I'm having extremely high ping for like a second or more and some packet loss as well? I'm trying to find out if its a local issue or my equipment. Also is your router a hub 3 or hub 4?

0 Kudos
spudas2k
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Its the whole area, there are too many people using the service and these apparent 'upgrades' are supposed to fix it..

High ping, slow speeds are my issues and i am using a hub 3 also.

0 Kudos
Gandi69
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Im also in area 04 and have the same problems, hence why i'm in the process of leaving after 15 years with virgin media. They aren't very cheap anymore, the service is terrible and as I don't use their tv or phone services theres no reason to stay when alternative connectivity methods are available or are about to happen.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Area 04 covers a sizeable chunk of the West Midlands, and the issues you describe aren't true for all of the area (for example, my connection is Area 04, and it is fine).  Whilst VM appear to have applied gaffer tape across their company mouth about the matter, seems there's a huge problem for cable technology of upstream over-utilisation caused by home working, home schooling, and increased leisure use of the internet during lockdown, and I suspect that most (but maybe not all) of these problems will clear up as the world returns to normal. For those who can't wait, a new Openreach connection is the most effective cure, because in the vast majority of these cases VM won't be spending money to fix a problem that they didn't cause, hadn't planned for, and will probably go away before they could even start a programme to address the matter - fixing over-utilisation is a slow, complex and often expensive exercise.  

But for most people, an Openreach connection will be slower, and you'd need to check whether you're able to cancel VM without "early exit" penalties, and make sure that your new ISP can install in a reasonable time frame.  How would you feel if it took three weeks to install an Openreach connection (which almost certainly will have far better latency), but a month after that lockdown ended, and the VM latency issues melted away?

No guarantees on any of that, but hopeful it will help you decide what route to take. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos