Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Any ideas on when virgin will finally move to ipv6?

I know this must have been covered loads. 

Anyone got any clues as to why virgin haven't stepped up the game and made the ipv6 switch yet? From what I've read everything about it seems so much better than ipv4

Why is there such a big delay for the switch? 

Could admin/mods and virgin employees and support post their thoughts and reasonings for the delay? 

I'm interested in what responses this post can get as I'm very eager to make the switch. As are most I think   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Any ideas on when virgin will finally move to ipv6?

It has been asked repeatedly in these forums, but VM remain obtusely and intentionally silent on this (and all other technical development matters). The concept of communicating to customers is alien to VM, who entrust all external comms to a marketing department who understand nothing - least of all that some customers might want more information than provided in the company's mendacious in-your-face advertising.

Do a search on ipv6 using the forum search bar.  It is far from the best search engine, but OK for a simple single term search like this.  And read this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

if VM switch to IPv6 Only then you will need every computer on the internet to be IPv6 or you will lose access to the millions still on IPv4 only.

There are ways of doing it with both but can be badly setup. There is also security problems with every device having a public IPv6 address. So many devices like smart home devices and even computers with no firewalls.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Who said only IPv6? We still need our own one IPv4 and will be around for years then sites like yahoo, google, banks, amazon can move to only IPv6 when everyone is connected by IPv6 to free up IPv4.

Or we all stay on IPv4 till hell freezes over.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and L2TP VPN test
0 Kudos