Menu
Zacharay1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Abysmal Latency - Most Likely Caused by Over Utilisation...

Just have awful latency issues, my download speeds often fluctuate a lot.

It is difficult for me to stream shows or play a video game of any kind.

BQM Link:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a6541b1ab93cb885528f8255a39a9837e2ae6845

If there is a fix then fantastic, I imagine there isn't but any advice on how to make this a little more bearable would be fantastic...

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Abysmal Latency - Most Likely Caused by Over Utilisation...

Yep, a bad case of over-utilisation.  Maybe VM will do work to resolve it, maybe they won't.  But you can't trust any quoted fix date even if they will.  As you say, nothing you can do about it (other than take your business to a different ISP).  The fact that the trace between 12:30 am and 8:00am is still "dirty" suggests that there's a noise issue that might be resolvable, but it's not going to make the experience any more bearable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

AlteranAncient
Up to speed
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm in agreement that this is most likely a utilisation issue - it's normally quite obvious when things go from "quiet" in the period of 2am to 8am and then suddenly very jittery and lossy from 9am until midnight.

There are a couple of things you can do to eliminate any variables on your end that could be exacerbating things - first, head to your Virgin Hub's web interface and "check status" and take a quick look at the Downstream. Check the "Power (dBmV)" column - you want all of those numbers to be between -3 and +8. I checked mine the other day and found mine to be sitting between 7-9, suggesting they were slightly out of spec. As I have a 6db attenuator sitting around, I attached that to the back of the Hub. Now my power levels are between +2 and +3, which is much closer to the "sweet spot". Realistically, you shouldn't have to attach an attenuator to your own line to bring the service into specification - you probably should get Virgin to send an engineer out to try and bring the levels back down for you.

One other thing you can do is make sure your connectors are correctly connected - make sure they are tight, but not overly tight. Use a pair of pliers or a small spanner to tighten all the Coaxial connectors - on the feed from the wall, on all sides of the splitter if you also have the TV service, and on the back of the Hub. A good measure is to get it threaded as far as you can with your fingers, and then one more turn with a spanner or pliers.

Again though, assuming your problems are being caused upstream by a utilisation fault, then these suggestions are only likely to give you marginal gains, if any. You'll need Virgin to fix the capacity issues in your area. Or you'll have to leave and settle for a different supplier if latency and a stable connection is more important to you than off-peak download speeds.

iiNSaNe93
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

My Upstream is terrible. Speeds varying from 0.8MBs to 36MBs on the Upload side. 90% of the time its sitting below 8MBs which is horrible for gaming & streaming.

Area 31 - I think anyone in this area needs to complain together in the hopes that they'll do something. They tell me I'm the only one experiencing issues so it must be my equipment... after browsing here for 10 minutes it would appear there are a few more people at least

My Broadband Ping - Virgin M350
0 Kudos
Zacharay1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have been informed from a member of their team on twitter that this is indeed a congestion fault, they quoted fault number F008469535 with an estimated fix date of 18/01/2021. However I am skeptical whether this will actually make a difference.

Has anyone received similar news and if so did it get resolved around the estimated date?

Many thanks,

0 Kudos
Jresty100
Dialled in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Jresty100_0-1610718785671.png

Look at my ping, this is with 1gb - super hub 4 - what a joke - pathetic 

Zacharay1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Well the estimated fix date has come and gone and the service is still the same, so looks like I just have to wait it out until it improves.

chatmandu
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Jresty100

The ThinkBroadband graphs all have the same scale and top out at 160ms. I'd recommend downloading the .xml data and inputting it into Excel. 

The true horror of a Virgin Media fibre connection that, apparently, allows you to "Game like a pro" is much, much worse. My ping has topped out at a full second!

Gaming is simply impossible. When I play Warzone, I have permanent red boxes displayed on the screen and have recently noticed a 'stop watch symbol' associated with jitter. I stutter all over the screen and 'rubber band' constantly. Gun fights are a joke and the kill cam displays a completely different story to the one that unfolded at my end. 

I've never had a connection this bad and I've simply stopped playing. It's too frustrating. 

What am I supposed to do in lockdown - talk to my wife? 

image_2021-01-19_175049.png

Zacharay1
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Don't get me started on Call of Duty. Tired of seeing killcams where my character model is frozen in mid air or running on the spot, not to mention the rubber banding and lack of bullet reg.

It's a shambles. At this point we just have to pray that something will be done soon.

0 Kudos
chatmandu
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@chatmandu wrote:

@Jresty100

The true horror of a Virgin Media fibre connection that, apparently, allows you to "Game like a pro" is much, much worse. My ping has topped out at a full second! 

They've updated their gaming advert page and it no longer advertises "Game like a pro". The web archive  still contains the advert, though. 

chatmandu_0-1611238929615.png

0 Kudos