Menu
Robdynamite
Just browsing
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ASUS RT AC86U latency

Hi guys, i'm new and a total wifi n00b. 

I've had a bit of a search and can't seem to find the answer to my query so I apologise if this has been answered but I couldn't see it. 

I'm a long time user of the superhub3 and have always used a hardwire ethernet connection for online gaming, but since getting the new Xbox Series X i've had to relocate my gaming from the living room where the router/cables come into my home to my converted loft. I moved the system early this week and was getting d/l speed of roughly 24mb and up of approx 2mb and latency of 40-80ms (across 5 tests).

Through much reading online and various research I opted to get the ASUS RT-AC86U hoping to improve the questionable stats. Since i've set it up i'm currently getting roughly 140 d/l and 14 u/l whereas my latency has gotten significantly worse, it's now sitting at 175ms. 

Am I missing a certain setting that can decrease this as when I speedtest my 2011 macbook when it's sat next to the xbox in the loft, that's getting a 24ms latency on the same wifi.

Any help or advice would be appreciated as if I need to return the router i'd like to try every option first.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: ASUS RT AC86U latency

It is possible that poor wifi is the issue, but generally wifi is unlikely to be the culprit if you're seeing 100ms+ latency spikes.

I suggest you set up a BQM and then post a link to a shared, live graph here.  Initially there won't be any useful data because the BQM works by tracking performance continuously, but by this time tomorrow we'll be able to see much of what's going on.  You need to make sure that the router is configured to respond to ICMP ping requests for this to work.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Robdynamite
Just browsing
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for the reply. As the issue seems to predominantly around the xbox, do I need to be running the xbox whilst running the BQM?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Robdynamite
Just browsing
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Actually, i've just read that I need to have it running. Will post the results, thanks again!
0 Kudos
Robdynamite
Just browsing
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I will add that i'm only seeing the latency spike via the xbox as far as I can see.

0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The AC86U is a perfectly capable router. I've had mine since 2017. I can't think what's causing your Series X connection issues with it though, especially as it sounds like you're wired to it, so less variables that can affect it than Wi-Fi.

For comparison, my Series X is connected to the 5 GHz Wi-Fi network and is on the same floor as the AC86U, but in a different room. I just ran the Xbox speed test and it practically maxed out our connection:

- 219.51 Mbps down
- 20.76 up
- 0% packet loss
- 1480 MTU
- 28 ms latency
- 78% wireless strength
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
0 Kudos
keasy
Superfast
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

In your router settings turn off automatic channel selection and pick one that is less congested. You can run apps such as WiFi Analyzer  on your mobile phone to see what channels around you are busy. If say ch 2 and 10 are the busiest around you then pick ch 6.

Also turn off explicit beam forming in your router settings.

I'm not currently near my router to say where these options are specifically in your settings but I'm sure you'll find them.

0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Also, the Xbox speed test latency doesn't necessarily reflect the latency you'll experience when connected to a third-party's game servers.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
0 Kudos
SonarUK
Rising star
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ignore the ping the xbox is showing. it doesn't ping local servers like "speedtest.net".

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

M500 | Hub 3 Modem Mode | Asus RT-AX86U (Stock-Firmware)
0 Kudos