Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 21 of 237
Flag for a moderator

Re: A very SERIOUS issue with VM - spread the word

Okay so according to that last time there was an issue was 18th, but your BQM shows different, which is why I was double checking

@ModTeam 

LOOKS like there something wrong in the area, which is now fixed- however OP is still seeing packet loss.

@Grumbul 

Have the disconnects stopped more or less? the packet loss you are seeing shouldn't be enough to drop the connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 22 of 237
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kippies, 

I can confirm we are still seeing momentary drops in connection (upload and download) consistently every 5 minutes during certain periods of the day. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 23 of 237
Flag for a moderator

Hi Grumbul, 

Thanks for your post, I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing some issues with the service. 

Upon going through health checks on your account, it's been flagged that there is an area issue, which could be causing connectivity and performance issues.

As this has recently been raised we don't currently have a fix date/ time. 

However feel free to pop here for updates. 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 24 of 237
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex, 

Interesting that it has taken over 2 weeks of contacting support to finally even have confirmation of an issue. How long does it normally take to get an update on what is going on? As it stands we have a service that simply does not work. We cannot even watch Netflix right now without constant buffering so we might as well consider this time to finally move on from VM. This entire fiasco has been almost incomprehensible with literally hours spent on the phone to so called tech-support.

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 25 of 237
Flag for a moderator

Quick follow up while we make our mind up on this, especially seeing as how this has all panned out.

I've spent hours now with Phone Support and also on here and was essentially told on multiple occasions that the issue must be local to my equipment. I have also had to endure endless attempts to get me to sign up for WiFi boosters (completely unnecessary). I am now reading the update from Kippie which is 'suggesting' that there was an issue that has now been resolved. It clearly hasn't solved the issue but maybe something was indeed fixed recently?

So my questions would be:

1) was there an issue that has been 'fixed' but which is still not resolving my issues?
2) how long before we can expect some sort of approximate update on the 'current' issue?
3) Is the 'current' issue one that would explain why this only occurs during certain hours of the day?

It would be great to know something because after 2 weeks of this I really have lost all faith in VM and I'm not seeing anything here to suggest we will even see a resolution. I appreciate it might take some time to get the answers so some sort of time-line on this would be great.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 26 of 237
Flag for a moderator

Hi Grumbul, 

Checking the account again, the "flag" of an issue has now gone and it's being advised there are no issues area wise that should be affecting connectivity. 

On the logs it does show previous SNR issues detected from the 20th November and back as far as the 4th. But these seem to have been resolved.

I've popped you over a private message so I can get a few more details from you and investigate further. 

Kind regards, 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 27 of 237
Flag for a moderator

So we went from here to DM's and I've heard nothing back. Great.

No resolution, no requests for further information. I just have this:

24.11.2019.png

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 28 of 237
Flag for a moderator

As far as VM are concerned, that trace is fine.

Big red block is a known issue with HUB3, the rest is par for the course. No WAN side drops, no packet loss, connection is cushty.

If your BQM stays like that, and you get drop outs, there sommat wrong LAN side.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 29 of 237
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kippies,

Really? This all looks normal for VM? My old BQM charts looked nothing like this at all until about 3 weeks ago when everything started going wrong. I never saw the solidified red periods (which I now find are 'normal' for SH3.0 and my latency never once spiked in this manner. Not once and my connection has been flawless for years. So what's changed? Why these latency spikes and these constant periods of connection disruption? If this is indeed representative of the service that is deemed 'normal' by VM then I will indeed have to go elsewhere. We seem to again be back to blaming a local LAN issue despite every possible test having been done with help from this board. One minute it is my end, the next there is a fault in the area and I'm advised to check back here. When I do that apparently another check on the account says in fact there is not an issue, but there was one, and it is resolved. Now we are back to saying it is a LAN issue.

So.... any advice on what we can do to narrow this down before we pull the plug (and thanks for the help thus far)? I think in all honesty I've never felt so let down by an ISP in all my years as a home and business user so I'm willing to do anything if it will restore some degree of faith in VM. Literally hours of our time speaking to an almost impossible tech support via phone (and mindless attempts to sell me a WiFi booster), exchanges here that seem to go in circles. It all just seems.... well..... so typical of VM these days.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 30 of 237
Flag for a moderator

Im perfectly prepared to stick with it if you are...

I should probably expand my comments above- Whilst I say a problem LAN side, I dont necessarily mean a problem LAN side as in something wrong with your equipment.The difficulty we have as of now is that the symptoms you describe are not reflected in the BQM trace. It was ropey, VM said there WAS a fault, it improved when they said the issue was fixed.

As of that last trace, whilst your latency does spike, there are no WAN side drops and no packet loss. Which means your connection hasn't missed a beat connectivity wise.

Have you ruled out buffer bloat? Tested with a separate decent router LAN side? We know you are using a cabled connection, what is the spec of the cable?

What sort of headroom are you leaving when streaming?

Can you try streaming until the problem manifests and compare the BQM to any output you can provide from the streaming software?

0 Kudos