Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 231 of 237
Flag for a moderator

Re: A very SERIOUS issue with VM - spread the word

You and I both know that would be unlikely.

Sure enough 3.00pm and we have packet loss again.

Utterly useless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 232 of 237
Flag for a moderator

So I'm not jumping to any conclusions right now but since 4.00pm - no packet loss. I dared not move. I sat very still. Holding my breath. It's been 3 months since I've not seen packet loss from 4.00pm.

Then the door knocked. It was a VM network engineer. As always incredibly courteous (apart from Mr.Phone who I can tell you about another day) and very knowledgeable. He came in and explained they'd been out working on the local cabinets all day long (thus the total outage earlier) and shared some information regarding FEC errors having spiked massively over the weekend - coincides nicely with the even bigger issues we saw commencing on Friday.

Monitoring everything my end while we spoke and not a single dropped frame to Twitch (bar 22 which was me messing about) and no packet loss to the London (Twitch), Amsterdam (Twitch) or Google servers. Not a single drop.

What time did he and his team finish up their work today? 4.00pm. Exactly when packet loss stopped my end.

Now this does not mean it's been fixed. But it does mean the declining performance of the network has not only halted but actually improved over the past 75 minutes. That has to be a good sign.

To the team working out there today and to those who came out on Thursday and Friday of last week I commend not only your efforts but also your professional attitude and inquisitiveness on this one. I truly hope I'll be able to report back more positive news over the coming 24 hours.

Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 233 of 237
Flag for a moderator

So I was not wrong with my prediction earlier? 

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 234 of 237
Flag for a moderator

You were actually very much spot on jpeg. I believe they literally re-built the entire cabinet over the road from me (including a brand new amplifier) as well as other cabinets and some door-to-door local line fixes as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 235 of 237
Flag for a moderator

We're all keen to hear your next report, 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 236 of 237
Flag for a moderator

You've gone very quiet, Grumbul.  Is it fixed now?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 237 of 237
Flag for a moderator

I got arranged an appointment with a technician. It was all about the splitter apparently. He fixed it and got everything back to normal with 0 PL visible.

Yey.

0 Kudos