Menu
Steddy24
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

9 Months of latency Issues

Had Latency issues for over 9 months now and its getting worse by the day. I've rung 23 times in the last 6 months. Most of the time waiting over an hour, been cut off and hung up on more times than I'd like to get into. Today alone I got cut off when asking if there was anything that could be done to sort my latency. I'm due to leave Virgin in 12th February as I asked them to resolve it when I gave my notice so this is the last attempt.

My internet is virtually unusable for gaming between 9am and 10pm. the latency spikes on war zone often go above 200 when I'm sat actually watching the the count in the menu. It's making any games unplayable. We have 2 people in our house doing virtually nothing on the internet. video calls even regular stutter. 

Can my latency be fixed or not a simple yes or no, I've been offered a preferable deal on better terms but there is no point in having a faster speed if the latency sucks!

Graph below showing typical trend:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/21dac5c3b97c1c94b2ae8bdc73eabf5705...

This is a last resort, otherwise I'll have to try elsewhere in 2 weeks time.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 9 Months of latency Issues

Certainly looks like congestion (Oversubscription/utilization) in the local area:

carl_pearce_0-1611764606400.png

0 Kudos
Steddy24
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Agreed, but they either need to say they can do something about it or admit they cant. Rather than always saying they're working on things or cant see any problems!

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If the over-utilisation is solely Covid related (due to home working, home schooling, and higher volumes of leisure interent use) then the problem will probably resolve as and when we get back to some sense of normality, which I'm guessing is some months away.  If it is not wholly related to Covid, but includes times when "normal traffic" is still too much for the local network, it will improve post-Covid but not fully resolve without action by VM to increase capacity.  And whilst I'd like to be more positive on that last one, VM's track record on over-utilisation is sometimes very poor, with more than a few reports of multiple missed resolution dates, so there's no way of knowing.

Unless you've had it confirmed otherwise, then you might find that the Openreach installation will have a long lead time of a couple of months due to Covid, so check that out, and when doing that make sure the new ISP can answer questions about any local contention issues, and the speed they can offer.  Don't switch ISP just hoping that they can offer you a decent service.  At least if you go with an Openreach ISP, you can usually choose a company with decent technical and customer support, like those on the right hand side of this page.

Then it's back to you taking a view of what best meets your needs.  Don't overlook the option to just move onto a standard VM tariff (ie expensive) contract with 30 days notice, stomach the price increase/s and see what happens in the next few months.  If Covid is sent packing, but the over-utilisation remains, then you aren't locked in for 18 months and facing a fight to get out without penalty.  If the over-utilisation does clear up, then you phone and sort out a new discount in the time honoured fashion.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Steddy24
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I think it’s definitely over untilisation but it’s at a point where it’s barely usable all day every day which is just purely unacceptable. I deserve an explanation at least, considering it’s costing me £80 a month rather than claiming there is nothing wrong or doing nothing about it.

I can get an openreach plusnet line on 10 days notice but I agree would also be a gamble. Would much prefer to stay with virgin but can’t go on like this for months. 

thanks for your input all very useful info. Hopefully someone from virgin will actually Reply...

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

In your shoes I'd be thinking of getting the Openreach line in ASAP, see how it performs.  If it's crap, cancel in the 14 day cooling off period and you'll owe nothing.  Personally I'd go with Zen or one of the smaller ISPs rather than Plusnet, but each to their own.

In terms of VM company response, there's not much the forum staff or customer service agents can do: If there's no officially recognised fault, you're in the dark.  If there's a recognised fault and a fix date, the staff can tell you that, but they have no way of seeing any history of prior fix dates that have drifted past, nor visibility of whether there's any real, planned programme of work, so you're still in the dark.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steddy24, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

I'm really sorry you're not getting the best our of our services at the moment and I can appreciate you're keen to know what is going on. 

I have tried to have a look into this for you but I've been unable to locate your account. 

I'm just going to pop you a message now to grab some details and then we can see what's happening. 

I look forward to hearing back from you soon. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos