Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 35
Flag for a moderator

40% packet loss + high latency

Hello, 

For over 2 months I have had this issue. Whilst gaming I am getting around 40% packet loss constantly throughout the day alongside with extremely high latency. This makes it virtually impossible to game. I am connected with a cat6 ethernet cable directly from my PC to the modem.

3 engineers have visited in the past 2 weeks and nothing has been resolved. The issue has been exactly the same following every engineer visit.

I have been trying to fix this problem for months and I have really done everything I could.

I would appreciate any help and anything further I can do personally, as no engineer can seem to fix this problem.

broadband monitor 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Re: 40% packet loss + high latency

Looks like overutilisation, but just in case its not

Go to 192.168.0.1 in your browser, or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode

Do NOT LOG IN

hub31.jpg

Post your upstream, downstream and network metrics from your HUB.

shub32.png

Screen captures are nice, C&P will do though.

Someone will get a look for you.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the response, 

I am directed to a different page , where I am prompted to login with my hub settings.

I am not given any option to "check router status. "

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Which HUB have you got? Is it in modem mode?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 35
Flag for a moderator

A new hub was installed just this morning. 

It is the 3.0 and if it is not in modem mode defualt then no it is not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Ah right if it's a new Hub then the first time you try to access it then you have to log in (using the default password on the sticker on the base), I think it then requires you to change that default password to one of your own, but from that point on if you log out, when you next access the web page the option to view the stats without having to log in will be there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Here is my  upstream, downstream and network metrics from my HUB.

I would appreciate if someone can check if everything is ok.

Thank you for the help.

5.PNG6.PNG7.PNG8.PNG9.PNG10.PNG11.PNG12.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 35
Flag for a moderator

If you want to know if its upstream or downstream PM me your IP if your hub supports ICMP timestamps.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and L2TP VPN test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 35
Flag for a moderator

You have the same as everyone else the service is over utilised like a plane where they sell 5% extra seats VM take on 200% extra customers because half of them will be out at work , school or college or asleep, Newsflash they are all at home at once and the system cannot cope, I have same problem on top of  40% packet loss I am getting 4.3mbs of 100mbs & 0.79mbs of 10mbs.

Having been an IT Professional for 30yrs plus I am not as easy to lie to as many of their customers over utilisation is the problem right across VM network, the only way to fix is to leave and use a reputable ISP with sufficient resources.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 35
Flag for a moderator

@lucan07 wrote:

You have the same as everyone else the service is over utilised like a plane where they sell 5% extra seats VM take on 200% extra customers because half of them will be out at work , school or college or asleep, Newsflash they are all at home at once and the system cannot cope, I have same problem on top of  40% packet loss I am getting 4.3mbs of 100mbs & 0.79mbs of 10mbs.

Having been an IT Professional for 30yrs plus I am not as easy to lie to as many of their customers over utilisation is the problem right across VM network, the only way to fix is to leave and use a reputable ISP with sufficient resources.

You forgot to mention you managed FO networks before they existed..

@lucan07 wrote:

If you read the posts the 0.12% is a fact what would be needed to do what most of us cannot, 128kbs would allow almost every game to run if the quality was there, here again table of required bandwith to play game with highest data requirement I have so far tested. 0.11356% and 0.119% if selecting lowest connection 128kbs rounded up to 0.12% which VM cannot supply I've only been a customer for 20plus years.

Connection Type Down (Kbps) Up (Kbps)
DSL, Cable, Fiber, 128K or faster (IPv4) 113.56 119.00
DSL, Cable, Fiber, 256K or faster (IPv4) 146.20 119.00
DSL, Cable, Fiber, 512K or faster (IPv4) 173.40 119.00
DSL, Cable, Fiber, 768K or faster (IPv4) 309.40 151.64
DSL, Cable, Fiber, 1Mbit/sec or faster (IPv4) 483.48 195.16

I know the problem I have managed fibre optic WAN accross the county since the 80's, having explained the problem to  others I am loathed to start again the speed is the only thing VM will ever advertise because the infrastructure is oversubscribed and their is no quality or customer support, just people that try to BS and run away when called out.

I suppose that was complete gibberish, so at least your improving...sort of..

@lucan07 wrote:

To end a contract all you need do is send an email stating 30 days notice and cancel DD, if you are not at the end of your current contract they will sting you big time as they try anything to service their debt, make sure you state reason for exit VM unable to provide useable service..

See not gibberish...

Still factually completley wrong like, but baby steps eh?

And just to correct your missive from beyond reality- Whilst overutilisation is certainly an issue in SOME areas, its not network wide by any stretch of the imagination.

@jackgf 

Its overutilisation, its rampant in areas of VM's network where lots of people are suddenly trying to use the network at the same time.

There are several large conurbations where some or all of VM's network is suffering from the same issue.

To give a brief set of options..

• You should have been issued an F number, which will allow you to claim a proportional credit on your monthly bill.

• If that is not acceptable to you, if they have said its overutilisation you can ask to released from your contract without penalty.

• You can raise a complaint through CISAS which will take longer than either claiming service credit or leaving without penalty, but will likely give you the option to change supplier at no cost to you. So if BT/Openreach want x quid to replace the old line to your premises, VM will foot the bill.

You should also note

• These faults tend to be open for a long time.

• Any date given to you is a review date NOT a fix date

• There may be times you are told measures have been taken to improve the situation and your speed does not reach your advertised "Up to" speed.Further works will be required in that case.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos