Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

3rd party router for gaming

Hello 

I play cod and battlefield games on PlayStation and I use wired ethernet to the console straight from superhub3. 

I see delays/lags in the game which obviously isn't great and I was wondering if I were to buy say an Asus or similar recommended router and turn the superhub3 into modem mode would make things better?

Given that I use ethernet cable cat 6 from memory, is there any gain to be had by using 3rd party router for gaming?

I'm not bothered with stronger WiFi signal and all that. 

I think i read somewhere that there is a routing overhead that causes the hub to slowdown or cause issues with lag/pings etc. 

Best,

V

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 3rd party router for gaming

A 3rd party consumer-grade router certainly wouldn't do any harm.

ASUS routers are good generally but like everything else, some are better than others. I've had x2 AX88U and both failed despite them being a top tier model. I'm now using an AX86U which is the WiFi 6 vers, of the legendary AC86U which really does help if you have a busy data household as the QoS holds up well.

If you go the ASUS route you can also (for some models not mine as yet) install RMerlin FirmWare which also opens up the fq_codel plus allows you to set your packet overhead to DOCSIS which also gives that bit more control. The AX88U I previously had also can run CAKE which will maybe be better for you too, it all depends on your bandwidth allocation/ net package you're on.

I'm on 1Gbps so don't need to bother so much with QoS but when I was on 200 and the family were kicking up Netflix, Prime Video, downloading huge game downloads etc it really did work a treat.

Another consideration is if you buy your own router just now it may be worth waiting until Jan/Feb 2021 as WiFi6E routers will start appearing then, supposedly. 6E will open up the 6Ghz band which really will be very quiet on the radio spectrum.

If you're purely into gaming on console and your household isn't too busy with data you could also consider a NetDuma OS router for even better gaming-centric options such as geofencing which servers you connect to.

What's your budget?

On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You are a fountain of knowledge. Thank you for your detailed response. My budget is 200 to 250 but I only want to upgrade if there's is actually going to be a difference to my ps4 or ps5 during gameplay. I'm not so concerned with rest of the devices but wifi6 will be an improvement however my decision to buy is more on gaming. 

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Nighthawk-XR1000-WiFi-Gaming-Router/dp/B01MY96ENS/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&key...

Has NetrDuma OS vers 3.0  and really would give you overall control to which servers you connect to. Bit over budget but has WiFi6.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-XR700-100EUS-Nighthawk-Gaming-Router/dp/B07GZ138X8/ref=sr_1_2?dch...

Again Netduma OS but not yet running vers 3.0 but will have vers 3.0 released soon as it's being beta tested. Doesn't have WiFi6 but is a far more powerful CPU and has a juicy 10 Gigabit port for if you ever want to run a NAS or the like.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-XR500-Nighthawk-Gaming-Router/dp/B078X68G19/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&k...

As above, NetDuma soon to get vers 3.0 but only has a dual-core CPU, although if you're not in a busy household that should be enough. 

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AX86U-Compatible-Lifetime-Forwarding/dp/B08CBCR6BB/ref=sr_1_2?dch...

Doesn't have the same control as NetDuma OD routers but if you set the QoS to gaming (or set gaming high) it will take care of things without you having to mess around too much. It's my current router and so far it's been great. Has 2.5 WAN port plus LAN integration. Means if VM ever sorts out the HUB 4 and allow x2 LAN ports to integrate then true 1gig speeds could be achievable. 

Also has lifetime Trendmicro built in security. It's stopped my kids hooking onto some dodgy phishing sites more than a few times.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AX82U-compatible-Lifetime-Accelerator/dp/B08CBC2WH2/ref=sr_1_4?dc...

Much the same as above minus the 2.5 WAN port. Bit cheaper bit less of the complicated stuff under the hood. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@inkx27 wrote:

You are a fountain of knowledge. Thank you for your detailed response. My budget is 200 to 250 but I only want to upgrade if there's is actually going to be a difference to my ps4 or ps5 during gameplay. I'm not so concerned with rest of the devices but wifi6 will be an improvement however my decision to buy is more on gaming. 

You can test if things will improve before spending money by putting the hub into modem mode and connecting just the PlayStation.  If things improve then the Hub was the issue and a third party router should help.  If things don't improve then the issue lies with your line or the route traffic is taking to and from the game servers or the servers themselves and a third party router can't fix any of those issues.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I thought you need a router for the hub to work in modem mode? Can I plug the ps4 straight into one of the lan ports hub while the hub is in modem mode? 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@80211ac wrote:

I thought you need a router for the hub to work in modem mode? Can I plug the ps4 straight into one of the lan ports hub while the hub is in modem mode? 

In modem mode you can only connect one device via Ethernet, which is typically a router but it doesn't have to be.  So yes you can plug the PS4 in while in modem mode.  You would need a router to have multiple wired and wireless devices when the hub is in modem mode as a long term solution, IF you find gaming is better in modem mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos