Menu
braduns
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

3rd Party Router better?

Hi All,

How much of a difference am i likely to experience using a third party router? like a good one.. minimal or noticeable? 

If its the Superhub that is causing the issues then surely the issues will still occur using it as just a modem ?

TIA 

Brad 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: 3rd Party Router better?

if you have input issues then adding a 3rd party router cannot solve that - if your problem is poor wifi around your property then a good 3rd party wifi router will likely be night and day

so the obvious question is what problems do you have to make you think about a 3rd party router

Tony
0 Kudos
braduns
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Mainly poor Lag. 

0 Kudos
braduns
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Has anyone had a similar issue? 

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) John_G
Moderator (Retired)
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Braduns,

Poor lag could come from the external connection to the net or internal connection to the hub. If you're using wifi you're likely to get poor and inconsistent lag when compared to ethernet. 

Have you tried connecting directly to the hub via ethernet? And further to this have you tried modem mode?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
braduns
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi. 

Yes and yes. Always wired to the router regardless of either hub3 or third party. Ping is still a consistent above 60ms whilst a friend who is not on virgin three doors down gets less than 10ms in game ping. 

Must stress that 60ms is a rarity. 

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode and your own router is the BEST way.

The SH3 is useless for gaming. Does not have the computing power to cope.

I have been in Modem mode since 2011, when the first SH came out, in that time I have had 2 ASUS routers, and both improve my gaming.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You can connect a PC upto the hub in modem mode to try

what firmware is the hub on? 

0 Kudos
braduns
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have put in a Linksys WRT32X, and on devices like laptop and PC directly connected get <35ms ping, it is just my xbox that cannot get lower.

I have implemented all the port forwarding and put the Xbox as the highest priority. 

At this point i would be trying to say that the problem is at an Xbox level, but as my previous post states a friend a few doors away on BT gets consistantly 15-20 ms ping. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
SonarUK
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The xbox (network settings) pings overseas data centers. ull see high pings of like 250 - that's not broken it doesn't affect gameplay.

The best way to check pings are in the actual games that show a ping reading.

For now BT does see a better Ping Rating - That argument has been bought up many times.

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Vivid 350 | Hub 3 modem mode | Asus RT-AC86U (Stock-Firmware)
0 Kudos