Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

1gb for gaming

When 1gb is installed in my area at the beginning of 2020, will it be the same old crap with the router being total garbage. 1gb is brilliant going into the router, but what comes out the other side is total garbage full of a gamers best friend, lag,lag,lag, or will the hub 4 be a great gaming router. p.s. I doubt that!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1gb for gaming

The problems with the Puma chipset were fixed a couple of years back and lag from that is a thing of the past on a working VM connection. The remaining lag (see my BQM below) is inherent in the DOCSIS technology and whether there is any local over-subscription on the network.  The router is still a bit skanky and wifi is several years behind the times, but chipset related latency is no longer an issue. 

Now, your money, your choice, but I would question why you want to pay the premium for a 1 Gbps connection, when the bandwidth for any game is in the region 500 kbps to 5 Mbps?  You'd be paying for a connection for gaming and typically using less than half of one per cent of the capacity you're paying for.  Yes, you'll download games faster on a 1 Gbps connection (if the server can keep up), but unless you've got a very short attention span then its unlikely to be important because you'll spend far more time playing than downloading. A further thought is that the Hub 4 required for 1 Gbps is relatively new, so don't be surprised if there's teething issues and you are waiting on a firmware fix that takes months.  And if lag is the pre-eminent consideration, you're still better off with a VDSL Openreach connection than a DOCSIS cable connection.

My Broadband Ping - VM number 2

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Plus you need to consider the speed of the servers just because you have a gig download speed doesn’t mean you will get that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It'll make absolutely no difference to your in-game experience whatsoever.

It's largely there for epeen value for VM Marketing and those who must have the latest and greatest, or are digital hermits. 

0 Kudos