Menu
Deffers
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

10tb NAS drive and Steam Library download

Hi

Was hoping some would would be able to help me. I'm considering buying a 10tb NAS drive to store all of my Steam games on my PC. I'm tired of downloading them, playing them and downloading again in 6 months to play again. I just want my whole collection saved and ready to play at anytime.

Will my Virgin broadband be restricted on download speed as I have around 350 games, at 40gig a game ish, so will take some time. And, would I be better off downloading at a game a day or just getting as many downloaded as I can in one hit.

I have Virgin 300 mb speed

My first post so thank you for any responses in advance

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 10tb NAS drive and Steam Library download

There is no restriction on downloading, I upgraded my PC a couple of months ago and reinstalled my steam library without any problems 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Deffers
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Danny. So Virgin will be fine with me downloading 363 games @ 50gb ish to a NAS drive. I only came over to Virgin from Sky as it took forever to download my games.

I only ask as one of the lads I work with said they will get funny with you for using so much bandwidth in one hit. I've downloaded about 1tb so far but am doing it a game or two at a time. I was thinking of just doing the lot in one hit, from Steam, EA and others

If they aren't going to be funny or restrict my speed then that's what I will do. It makes sense as once they are downloaded the will only be update downloads in future, well that and new games lol
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

you don't want to be playing/installing games onto a NAS drive. you'll be better off upgrading the drive in your PC us getting a USB3 drive.
0 Kudos
Deffers
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well I'm glad you told me that. Was going to buy a 10gb NAS today. I have a 4td drive on my PC that I used for my games. Can I ask why it's a no for the NAS

I could just get a 8tb drive and put it in the PC i guess
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

a 1gbps network connection (what i'd expect from the nas) will be limited to about 100MB/s pretty slow if you are installing games on it.
If you are only planning on backing them up but not using them from the drive then a NAS is fine. But won't be fast enough to install and play from
Deffers
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks mate

I'll get hold of a nice fast drive for my PC. Bloody glad I never paid out for the NAS.

Saved me a few quid so thanks again
0 Kudos