Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

100% Packet loss/router restart

For the last few weeks I have been experiencing 2 - 3 instances of 100% packet loss through the day. This has made any type of online gaming impossible (as well as TV streaming)

I set up a broadband quality monitor which has shown the occurrencesAnnotation 2020-06-01 165240.pngAnnotation 2020-06-01 1165315.png

When this happen the router initially appears fine, wireless shows as working and the light is yellow. Firstly wired connection drops, then wireless and then router light turns green. 

Data tends to return after a couple of minutes. 

Could this be a faulty router? Or could it be an issue with cabling/cab?

I have restarted router, done factory reset and checked all connectors between road and router but no improvement.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 100% Packet loss/router restart

Hi 3chris333,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear that you're having issues with the internet having drop outs.

Can we ask when these occurrences happen is the connection lost on a single device or anything that is connected to the router?

As you have checked all the obvious, cables are secure, factory reset it possibly may be a fault with the router or something may be happening in your area.

Just let me know about the above so we can assist you further.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jodi,

Thanks for getting back to me, I can confirm that every device loses connectivity, wired and wireless. 

I have also noticed from the monitor that every day at 10am and 8pm the latency slows down to a crawl...this is not due to any devices on the network because it happens when we are out/they are off.

The internal cabling seems fine, however I am unsure of the cable to the road...it is old Telewest hardware and has been here long before us (12 years) so could be degrading.

Thanks

Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me 3chris333,

As you are losing connection on all devices it may be a problem with the router itself. I need to do some further diagnostics for you so I will pop you over a private message.

Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi 3chris333,

can you provide me with the following:

Your account number.

Confirm your full name and that you are the account holder.

Finally characters 1,3 and 5 from your password.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jodi,

Happy to provide the details...but when I click on purple envelope it doesn't contain a PM...do I just reply to the forum post?

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry about that Chris, let me try again for you. I Don't want you to post any personal details in this public space for your own safety and security. 

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi 3chris333,

Glad that we could help, let us know how the technicians visit goes on Monday.

If you need any further help pop back to us through this page.

Have a lovely day

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hopefully this has been resolved, all the signs indicate it has.

The engineer was brilliant, checked the router which was fine. He then checked every bit of cabling and found the fault to be a damaged network port in the road (it literally fell apart when he touched it!).

He has switched me to a different port which seems to have dramatically improved things - I am still getting occasional issues but apparently this won't be rectified until a network engineer can change the port in the road...although I am unsure if I will be informed about when this will be done.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi 3chris333,

Thanks for updating us as to how the engineer visit went and happy to hear that things have improved. If he's logged it with our Networking Team, they will arrange for the works to be carried out which includes any necessary traffic management, permissions, materials and so on. At least we know what the culprit is and they will be working to getting it fixed for good.

Regards,

Lisa