Menu
rnewfie999
Dialled in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

why are emails from me to me are flagged as SPAM?

Every email I send from 'me'@virginmedia.com to 'me'@virginmedia.com comes back immediately with <SPAM> added to the subject line.
I have checked all setting on the VM server and they are not blocked there.
I noticed this, because many emails are not getting through to other people and they are asking why I am ignoring them, but I can't reply to let them know. I have had to use gmail instead.

What's the point in having a VM email address if I can't use it?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: why are emails from me to me are flagged as SPAM?

Does the issue occur when sending via webmail? if not then check your email client is using Virgin Media's SMTP server when sending emails.

FYI: <SPAM> flag is due to ☰ > Settings > ▸ Email > SPAM Settings being set to Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
rnewfie999
Dialled in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

If I send an email using :-
Your Name: 'me'
E-mail Address: 'me'@virginmedia.com
it comes in with <SPAM> prefixed to the subject line.

Your Name: 'me'
E-mail Address: 'me'@globalnet.co.uk (My globalnet account forwards to my VM account)
it comes in without <SPAM> prefixed to the subject line.

In both cases I am using Outgoing mail server: smtp.virginmedia.com

If I send using webmail there is not a problem - I use Outlook on my PC.

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi @rnewfie999,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear you're having a bit of trouble with your email service at the moment. I can see that you've said that the issue doesn't occur when sending/receiving emails via our webmail platform and only via the email client Microsoft Outlook. This suggests that there isn't a problem with the service itself but the set up on the email client.

Have you ensured that's all set up correctly? You can find the settings for Outlook here.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
rnewfie999
Dialled in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

This is strange. I checked the settings as you suggested and they were as they should be.
I changed "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" to "Log on using my username", which still produced <SPAM>.
I set it back to "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" and it doesn't now come in as <SPAM>.
It seems that the 'actual settings' were not the same as the 'reported settings'.

Problem (hopefully) fixed.

Thanks for your help in fixing this.

PS - Can you explain the rules which causes <SPAM> to be prefixed to the subject line (apart from the above)?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@rnewfie999 Are you running any internet security software set to check emails?  Some of these will append <Spam> to emails that they think are suspect.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

rnewfie999
Dialled in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I use AVG and I just checked, because they often upgrade and change settings - I don't have email checking enabled - I prefer to do it myself.

Good suggestion though.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Did you check in webmail to see if ☰ > Settings > ▸ Email > SPAM Settings > Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox is set?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@rnewfie999 wrote:

I changed "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" to "Log on using my username", which still produced <SPAM>.
I set it back to "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" and it doesn't now come in as <SPAM>.
It seems that the 'actual settings' were not the same as the 'reported settings'

I am glad that you have managed to solve the problem but I must admit I cannot see how changing that setting has achieved that. Well done for trying it though.

The "Log on using username and password" setting in Outlook is there to allow you to specify a different username and password to authenticate outgoing messages to those used with the incoming messages.

I would have thought that if there had been any issue with the credentials being used with the outgoing VM messages you would not have been able to send any virginmedia.com emails at all rather than them being sent but then flagged as spam.

If the problem does return, the source/message headers of one of your emails marked as <SPAM> (preferably taken direct from your webmail account) might offer some ideas as to why VM is marking them as spam.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

If he's got some of the old messages then it might be worth sharing the headers anyway to see if we can see exactly what the cause of the issue was.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks