Menu
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

virignmediabusiness

I keep getting email from  [REMOVED] @virginmediabusiness.co.uk which relates to various banks such as tsb. Tesco , M & S ETC, saying there is a problem with my bank account. The email appears genuine and is from servers with ip address virgin and ntl. if this is a spoof then perhaps someone is using virgin to scam banks customers. They are classed as spam and often "to recipients". I am wanting  to warn others and ask if other members get these. Hope this posting gets through my last one was removed.

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: virignmediabusiness

additional data on spam connected with virgin-

senders of spam as follows-

[REMOVED]@virginmediabusiness.co.uk   (banking)

[REMOVED]@virginmediabusiness.com (banking)

[REMOVED]@virginmediabusiness.com  (banking)

[REMOVED]@eml.com   (money)

[REMOVED]@paq-source.net  (fake virgin bill)

[REMOVED]@safe.com   (fake virgin bill)

[REMOVED]

[REMOVED].com  (spam)

Be careful of fake virgin/ntl email which appears to be connected to virginmedia

As I have changed my contact address for virgin media, these fake emails continue to my old primary address even though genuine virgin email go to other contact address, so this indicates these email senders  are false immediately and not from virgin, and the ntlworld ones are from old addresses prior to virginmedia and obviously also fake and not from virginmedia who do not use ntlworld to send emails of an official nature.

any ntlworld.com email address's predates virginmedia.com when the company was called ntlworld, and some customers like myself still have an ntlworld.com primary address as I have been with the company 20 years approx

it is quite rare to get emails of the type listed, not the usual spam so I have brought it to the attention of the community.

not sure if virgin themselves are aware someone is using their business address for spam purposes or baking phishing.

I checked to make sure I was not registered with virginmediabusiness.co.uk  and assume not, as password reset did not work, I though somebody was using my email address for fraud purposes with virginmediabusiness. I presume also [REMOVED] are fake but only virginmedia business would confirm if these are fake address's or somebody spoofing these address's. The IP of the senders appears genuine direct from virgin media  and via ntl servers, so not obviously spoofed or redirected. very odd.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

correction all the virginmediabusiness address's are co.uk    not .com

[REMOVED]@virginmediabusiness.co.uk

[REMOVED]

sorry for that ,typo error.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

noted will respect the rules in future please also remove from last post which was a correction.

I suppose the email could be spoofed so the names could belong to virgin customers who are genuine so understand but not happed before to me,

and means community posts can be gereral only, is there a link to the rules I will read them

0 Kudos
Lindsey_C
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @ALF28 

Thank you for respecting our Forum Guidelines, I have edited your additional post too 🙂

If you click on the hyperlink in the notice at the bottom of your edited posts or click here these will both take you through to the Forum Guidelines.

Thanks

Lindsey_C

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator

thank for advice I have printed rules and terms and will read them asap

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator

what is the advice regarding forwarding spam emails linked to virgin to phishing@virginmedia.com.

I have done that in the past but there is no feedback, so not sure if they want that.

in some cases spam content prevents delivery  to virgin phishing address even though virgin have sent to my inbox and   even in text mode.

do virgin investigate spam/phishing other than the usual fake virgin bill/invoice?

is there a danger forwarding spam emails to virgin that it could infect computers of both sender/receiver and if so is forwarding not worthwile?

I have noted in the past a forwarded email can show html/images even though switched off in settings it can bypass settings, so that is why I have not used the phishing reporting recently, but it may depend on which client is used , not sure about web mail but think it stays as text if forwarded.

some email spam may be tracked using tracking software so the sender may get feedback from pixels in images etc, another reason I tend to isolate or delete spam and ignore it, but curiosity means I do read the email to see what it contains and if it is  a security problem.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I have contacted "virgin media business" today by chatline to ask about the spam issue and they are investigating.

I have made them aware of banking emails which are spam  and with  sender  address's  of  virginmediabusiness.co.uk

and to confirm my ntlworld.com address is not connected to virginmediabusiness.co.uk

not sure if it is spoofing or hacking but could be phishing attempts.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Alf28,

Thank you for coming back to us, If you do have any possible phishing mail please do still send it to phishing@virginmedia.co.uk if it is rejected this usually means we are aware of it and it has now been blocked.

Kind regards

Paul.

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

had no feedback from virginmediabusiness on my enquiry about spam, not even any email so do not know if they found  a reason for this spam.

The virginmediabusiness.co.uk spam still arrives, I had one yesterday 11/3/20 for tsb bank, following same one on 8/3/20 but with the word "new" in the  subject.

other banking updates that I have received include Santander, m& s bank, Tesco bank. They commenced on 13/2/20.

have not forwarded them for analysis to virgin as they have spam content and appear to come via ntl.com, so still awaiting any feedback from my virignmediabusiness chatline, they have not stopped the spam, but it could be spoofed to look like virginmedaibusiness and actually be from a hacker doing phishing or they could be genuine emails but if so why do I receive them as to my knowledge my virignmedia primary email is not part of virginmediabusiness, and virginmedia business would not confirm on the chatline if they were sending to my primary ntlworld.com email until an investigation so still waiting. Wondered if it could be connected to the data incident virgin announced on 5/3/20 where marketing data had been exposed.

0 Kudos