cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virginmedia smtp emails being bounced since 4 April 2023. Worked ok for years previously.

landroid
Joining in

Last few days, outgoing emails using VM SMTP are being bounced by gmail and various other recipients. Same behavior on MAC and Windows machines using smtp.virginmedia.com

Email log on my Mac shows dialog with smtp.virginmedia.com as entirely normal - authenticates ok then finally: READ Apr 06 14:15:53.311 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelTLSv1_2] -- host:smtp.virginmedia.com -- port:465 -- socket:0x6040004a5640 -- thread:0x6040092654c0
250 2.0.0 kPSypbwEZKOXtkPSypmHtC mail accepted for delivery

So off it goes but the bounce message from the addressee complains:

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<xxx@mha.org.uk>:
   550 spamcop.mimecast.org Blocked - see https://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?212.54.57.96. - https://community.mimecast.com/docs/DOC-1369#550 [7InJKSVNMVe_1KS6-p8kVA.uk2]
Reporting-MTA: dns; smtpq1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;xxx@mha.org.uk
Remote-MTA: dns; eu-smtp-inbound-psc-1.mimecast.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 spamcop.mimecast.org Blocked - see https://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?212.54.57.96. - https://community.mimecast.com/docs/DOC-1369#550 [7InJKSVNMVe_1KS6-p8kVA.uk2]

So the blocking server is complaining about smtpq1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net which is a Vodafone server.

Also smtp.virginmedia.com is a Vodafone IP address.

What is going on? Is it the major outage recently that has resulted in a misconfiguration? Any help appreciated. In the meantime - no outgoing emails for us!

Any help appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@landroid wrote:

So the blocking server is complaining about smtpq1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net which is a Vodafone server.

What is going on? Is it the major outage recently that has resulted in a misconfiguration? Any help appreciated. In the meantime - no outgoing emails for us!

Any help appreciated.

I am not a Virgin Media employee but I might be able to explain this.

The Virgin Media email service is actually operated by a Netherlands based company called Ziggo who, like Virgin Media, are also part of the Liberty Globe multinational telecommunications giant. 

The confusion with Vodafone arises because, in the UK, VM recently merged with o2 but in the Netherlands, Ziggo recently merged with Vodafone.

The server, 212.54.57.96, is one of Ziggo's email servers used by the "VM" email service.  However, since Ziggo's merger with Vodafone their servers now appear to be listed to Vodafone Libertel B.V..

The "VM/Ziggo/Vodafone"  email servers do get onto spam blocklists from time to time but they soon seem to get delisted.

Currently, 212.54.57.96 does not seem to be listed as blocked on Spamcop or any of the blocklists checked here https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx but if you are still getting that message post back here and VM staff will pick that up. (I'll escalate it to them if necessary).

I hope that helps clarify things a bit.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@landroid wrote:

Any help appreciated.

I am not a Virgin Media employee but I might be able to explain this.

The Virgin Media email service is actually operated by a Netherlands based company called Ziggo who, like Virgin Media, are also part of the Liberty Globe multinational telecommunications giant. 

The confusion with Vodafone arises because, in the UK, VM recently merged with o2 but in the Netherlands, Ziggo recently merged with Vodafone.

The server, 212.54.57.96, is one of Ziggo's email servers used by the "VM" email service.  However, since Ziggo's merger with Vodafone their servers now appear to be listed to Vodafone Libertel B.V..

The "VM/Ziggo/Vodafone"  email servers do get onto spam blocklists from time to time but they soon seem to get delisted.

Currently, 212.54.57.96 does not seem to be listed as blocked on Spamcop or any of the blocklists checked here https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx but if you are still getting that message post back here and VM staff will pick that up. (I'll escalate it to them if necessary).

I hope that helps clarify things a bit.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@Coenoby That's an amazing trail! 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jpeg1 wrote:

That's an amazing trail

Or perhaps just a tangled web? LOL

Coenoby

Thanks for that very good explanation. I am sure you are right because the bounces appear to have stopped now. (Not great that it takes a day or two to fix though.) Really helpful.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@landroid wrote:
(Not great that it takes a day or two to fix though.) Really helpful.

Thanks for coming back with the update - good to know that things seem to have resolved themselves.

Coenoby