Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

virgin.net won't send through Outlook 2010 suddenly

I use various virgin.net emails for my family through outlook 2010 on 2 separate computers. 1 runs Windows 10 the other XP. As of yesterday, I can't send emails from any of these accounts. They have been working fine for many years. SOme are IMAP and some on the older computer are POP3.

I have checked all the settings against those suggested by Virgin and they are all correct. I can receive emails fine but cannot send any.

Any ideas....?

I can send from Virgin webmail ok and I can send gmails from outlook still.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin.net won't send through Outlook 2010 suddenly

I don't want to scare you but I feel I might:

Two probable causes

1. You are not a VM broadband customer and your virgin.net address etc is not linked to a current VM broadband account. In which case you have no right to use the VM e-mail system and you should not be surprised at what has happened. That seems unlikely given how you describe the issue

2. It is this:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-email-not-sending/td-p/4468956

run the diagnostics please on your Windows 10 PC and not any other device. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Windows XP and Office 2010 are WAY out of support and are a security risk. get them updated to supported versions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi HowardML,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am a VM Broadband customer and the my email address is listed as the contact email on my account. The other email addresses are not listed.

Following your links I came up with VM305 and on the nest step I got SBL-no, XBL-no, PBL-yes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm afraid VM305 is fatal to the sending of e-mail. And well done for getting that. It also means you are by definition on the SBLCSS which is a subset of the SBL. Spamhaus has detected spam coming from your IP address and VM will refuse to send e-mail from that IP address until you clear yourself of the infection.

You can't see what is going on because your e-mail programs are not implicated. The spam bot works intermittently in the background but is always invisible to you unless you go looking for it.

You have multiple devices on your network/system connecting to the outside world via your Hub.  Finding the bot is going to be difficult. There is a method here which involves you setting up a hot spot. Windows 10 machine recommended for that because the operating system has this built in:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-set-up-a-mobile-hotspot-with-windows-10/

And the methodology is here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

You have to allow each device to connect via the w10 PC hot spot so that Wireshark can see what it is sending and thus detect which device is contaminated with the bot. 

I'll go back to your original post and offer further advice as well. But this will do for now.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Additional advice.

Webmail works because VM do not apply the same rules to sending and receiving from web mail as they do to sending via email programs. GMail works because they don't (apparently) check for spam as VM do, although they could if they wanted to.

The usual culprits are Amazon Firesticks which have had unauthorised software added, Android phones, and an apparently "free" VPN from Hola - which comes complete with malware or the ability to add malware to your system.

It is often the case that standard security packages will not be able to detect these bots.

I think you need to absorb this first and come back for further advice.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Having spent most of the day following these suggestions and not finding any problems, as suddenly as it stopped working it started working again!

I haven't got a clue why, but there you go.

Interestingly, I phone VM to ask about it and they insisted that TalkTalk took over the running of the virgin.net domain, despite the fact that al the settings are virginmedia ones! Needless to say, TalkTalk said they didn't know anything about virgin.net email addresses.

I think I might look for another email address/server....

Thank you for all your help though!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@JRCDrums 

I would advise you to follow the advice of @HowardML .

Here are a few more thoughts on the subject for you to ponder -

Spambot – What is it?

A spambot is an Internet application designed to gather email addresses for spam mailing lists. A spambot can gather emails from websites, social media websites, businesses and organizations, leveraging the distinctive format of email addresses.

After attackers have amassed a large list of email addresses, they can use them not only to send spam email, but also for other nefarious purposes.

Apart from the direct damage caused to end-users and organizations affected by spam campaigns, spambots can also choke server bandwidth and increase costs for Internet Service Providers (ISPs). That is why detection services (like Spamhaus etc) are involved in publicising IP addresses which are detected to be significant spam sources..

How Does It Get Onto My Home Network?

A spambot on a home network is frequently the result of a self-inflicted wound. For example, the home user can fall for tricks like this -

download this abc-software to unlock your Firestick and get free access to all these additional xyz-movies”

The offer fails to mention that the download may also include a spambot which will gather information and use your platform to distribute large quantities of spam email around the world. Note that such spam is usually sent out direct through a router port (usually number 25) and completely by-passes your email service routes. Note also that if a spambot operated 24x7 sending out spam in a steady stream, it would be relatively easy to spot. Most spambots are therefore programmed to wake up at periodic intervals (hours, days or even weeks between activities), then blast out large amounts of spam and then return to sleep for unpredictable periods. This invariably makes detection a much harder and seriously longer process as Spamhaus, for example may drop you from its lists after a couple of days inactivity – and you then get added again when the bot wakes up. This could repeat ad nauseum until you find and erase the source of the spambot.

Any such piece of software, once installed, might be capable of probing your other network devices and taking over any with poor security protection. Worst case scenario is that ALL your locally connected devices could become compromised.

Which Devices Are Vulnerable To This?

Anything Which Can Connect to the Internet via your router from your local home network and hence the generic term IOT (Internet of Things)

(a) Potentially, anything with “Smart” in it’s description or behaviour – Light-bulbs, Electric plugs, CCTV, Door-bells, TV & Firesticks, Personal routers on home Lan, pseudo VPNs, domestic appliances like Fridges, Washing machines, anything voice-controlled – Alexa etc, Baby monitors, Front door lock(!!) etc, - basically anything which uses a cut-down version of Linux or Android as it’s operating system. It’s a long list and growing rapidly.

(b) Anything with poor security. Many of the above devices can be bought relatively cheaply on-line and frequently suffer from poor security such as – not easy to find/change the (common) default password! - assuming there is one! Always remember that anything which sounds too good or cheap to be true – will probably be too good to be true – and could be a potential spambot carrier.

(c) beware of any invitation to click on any .exe file or link in any unsolicited email body or attachment.

Finally, the battle between the goodies (email service providers and their detection suppliers) and the baddies (the spammers, hackers and other criminals) is forever escalating – so, yes, I know you didn’t have these problems with the old “Mickey-Mouse” service you were used to back in the good old days. Times have changed and informed estimates suggest that at least 50% of ALL global email traffic is now spam, hacking or criminal related. Please be careful.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@JRCDrums wrote:

Having spent most of the day following these suggestions and not finding any problems, as suddenly as it stopped working it started working again!

Yes it will. As I have explained spam bots work intermittently and if no spam is detected coming from your IP address for 24 hours the listing is lifted and VM will not block your mail. But that won't be permanent and you'll have the same problem time and time again until you eliminate the problem.

I haven't got a clue why, but there you go.

I've told you why. And if there you go is what you think you'll be stopped in your tracks quite soon.

Interestingly, I phone VM to ask about it and they insisted that TalkTalk took over the running of the virgin.net domain, despite the fact that al the settings are virginmedia ones! Needless to say, TalkTalk said they didn't know anything about virgin.net email addresses.

Not at all interesting. They say this this all the time and its utter drivel. And we keep reporting it back all the time and nothing happens. It is utter drivel (@MIchael_JK). virgin.net addresses properly linked to broadband accounts, as yours are, are  just fine and still the responsibility of VM.

I think I might look for another email address/server....

By all means and carry on living with a spam bot on your system spewing out spam to the rest of the world. It is the case that VM are one of the few ISPs that do apply this check to outgoing mail. Normally SBL CSS listings are used by ISPs to protect incoming mail servers. 

Thank you for all your help though!

That's what we are here for. But I bet it won't be long before you are back with the same problem.

0 Kudos