Menu
da_kent
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

virgin.net email login problem

Hi, my mother, who has used a free virgin.net eamil address for many, many years, cannotlogin to her email today. Her Windows 10 mail client says the password is wrong (it has forgotten it?). Can't seem to get round the problem.

My login to my virgin.net email is working (for now!).

Any ideas as to what's gone wrong?

Thank you

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin.net email login problem

There has never been a ‘free’ virgin.net email account or any other virgin or ntl or blueyonder branded email account. All of them are based on you having a paid-for broadband account. Does your mother still have a VM broadband subscription and if so, is the email address properly associated with it?

If she does not have a live broadband account then the email address should have been deleted some three months after leaving, although that sometimes (often) doesn’t happen but the accounts eventually get caught up in a periodic cleanup and are deleted. If this is the case then, sadly, it’s gone.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin.net email login problem

@da_kent wrote:

Hi, my mother, who has used a free virgin.net eamil address for many, many years, cannotlogin to her email today. Her Windows 10 mail client says the password is wrong (it has forgotten it?). Can't seem to get round the problem.

My login to my virgin.net email is working (for now!).

Any ideas as to what's gone wrong?

Thank you

The clue maybe in the first line.  Virgin.net email addresses have never been completely free.  I guess that when your mother first started using the address it was via a dial up internet account that was paid for through the call charges.

That service was switched off some years ago.  For continued use of the email address concerned it needs to be attached to a current VM broadband account.  Is this the case with your mother's virgin.net email?

You can read more about the possible situation here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/jump-to/first-unread-m...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos