cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virgin e-mail accounts

pamhome
Tuning in

Our e-mail accounts with Virgin have been blocked, because of malware activity and we have tried to reset out password but as we first opened broadband and e-mail accounts over 20 years ago, we can't remember the details of the account. I have tried lots of different combinations but nothing seems to work. How can we reset the log ons and passwords?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pamhome wrote:

we have tried to reset out password but as we first opened broadband and e-mail accounts over 20 years ago, we can't remember the details of the account.

So do you still have a VM broadband account?

If you do, then the VM staff on this forum will be able to help to sort this out for you.

If you don't, then sadly VM staff will be limited in the support they can give you. VM email accounts used to be supplied as part of VM's Broadband package and VM are meant to delete the email accounts 90 days after the broadband package is closed. Sadly though these orphan accounts are often allowed to linger on for years. 

Just for information, VM no longer offer VM email accounts to new broadband customers or allow existing customers to create new ones.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pamhome wrote:

we have tried to reset out password but as we first opened broadband and e-mail accounts over 20 years ago, we can't remember the details of the account.

So do you still have a VM broadband account?

If you do, then the VM staff on this forum will be able to help to sort this out for you.

If you don't, then sadly VM staff will be limited in the support they can give you. VM email accounts used to be supplied as part of VM's Broadband package and VM are meant to delete the email accounts 90 days after the broadband package is closed. Sadly though these orphan accounts are often allowed to linger on for years. 

Just for information, VM no longer offer VM email accounts to new broadband customers or allow existing customers to create new ones.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thanks, yes, we are a VM customer.  I have looked at all the help pages but nothing refers to this type of problem. How do I contact the VM staff. I could ring 150 but thought there might be an easier way.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pamhome wrote:

Thanks, yes, we are a VM customer. 

That's great, thanks for that update.

I have looked at all the help pages but nothing refers to this type of problem.

Actually, quite a while ago VM posted advice on what to do in your situation:

See here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-accounts-locked-mailbox-unable-unable-to-access-ema... 

Open the "this page" link in VM's post and enter your email address. Then enter your existing password when prompted. That takes you to the "My Virgin Media" account for that email address rather than the VM webmail account itself. Once you've signed in to that, click on the "Update Settings" tab and then the "Account details" tab.

Scroll down that page and you will see that you can edit (reset) the password there.

You will need to do that for each email account that is locked.

How do I contact the VM staff. I could ring 150 but thought there might be an easier way.

One of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) will contact you via this thread in a day or so but try the route I have outlined above to see if you can do it yourself right now.

My advice would be to avoid the 150 route (for several reasons 😉).

Coenoby

Thanks very much. I will follow this through.

Thanks for your previous advice but we are still having problems. I clicked on the link as you advised and it went to an already logged in page of one of our  e-mails, which hasn't been locked but we still want to change the password on that e-mail as well as the other one as we sure that that address has also been compromised. It doesn't seem to want me to sign in, as it's already connected.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pamhome If you sign out of the account that you are currently logged into the system should then allow you to sign in the other email account via the methods explained by @coenoby 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pamhome wrote:

I clicked on the link as you advised and it went to an already logged in page of one of our  e-mails, which hasn't been locked but we still want to change the password on that e-mail as well as the other one as we sure that that address has also been compromised.

Just to be clear, the link I was trying to direct towards was this one https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  

If you click on that link and enter the email address of one of the accounts that you wish to reset and then its password when prompted it will take you, not to the email account for that address. but what VM refer to as the "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

That is where you get to the option to reset the password for that email account by:

Once you've signed in to that, click on the "Update Settings" tab and then the "Account details" tab.

Scroll down that page and you will see that you can edit (reset) the password there.

If that link is taking you somewhere else such as the email account itself, that suggests to me that there is an issue with your VM email account, perhaps it is not linked to your current VM broadband account?

Try the link in this post (above) should take you to a screen that looks like this:

My virgin media.png

If it takes you somewhere else you definitely need help from the VM staff on the Forum Team. As I said earlier one of them will contact you via this thread. If you come back and confirm that the link is not working for you I will escalate your post to the them 😉

I hope that helps.

Coenoby

Thank you , it's all sorted now. I really appreciate your incite.

Hello pamhome

Thanks for raising the issue via the community and for the members for helping get this resolved so quickly. If you need any assistance in the future please don't hesitate to post on the forum and we'll be happy to help.

Rob