Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

undo delete mail

Hi. I have mistakenly deleted the contents of some email folders in Apple Mail. Is it possible to undo this operation?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: undo delete mail

It depends on whether the mail client is set to permanently delete or just moves deleted items into the Trash/deleted items folder.

Worth checking trash/deleted items to see it the emails are in there.  If so you can move them back to the relevant folders.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much Graham. I should have said that there are currently 2000 deleted items in the trash and I was hoping not to have to go through them all. I wondered if I could just do something like an "undo delete" and reverse the operations I had erroneously done?

If not I could search for those with senders or details that I know, but I'm likely to miss quite a few doing it that way.

Thanks again for your help,

Caz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Wow, I'm amazed that you have that many emails in trash.  Clearly you are not using a Virginmedia email account as the trash folder is automatically cleared regularly, albeit at apparently random intervals, despite the stated policy.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is likely the undo buffer is no longer available to undo the delete action with + Z so instead try the following in Mail:

• select Trash folder
  • enter the following text in the Search field:

email added after Tuesday

• select and move the emails to the appropriate folders

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks I tried that but it came up with nothing but thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos