Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

unable to send an email when wifi is on

Hi im unable to send an email when my WiFi is on im using Samsung email app its only happened this week  it gives me an error cannot located server yet if I go onto vm Web page it sends ok can you advise me what to do i have contacted vm by phone and samsung still no joy. I've tryed removing the app and reinstalling ive reset my hub still not working ive tried other ports for the outgoing server and removed my ip address from the blacklist 

Thanks 

Caz 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: unable to send an email when wifi is on

@caz22 wrote:

Hi im unable to send an email when my WiFi is on im using Samsung email app...........................

................and removed my ip address from the blacklist 

So, is this the situation, you cannot send emails from your phone when using your VM wifi but you can when connected to your mobile network?

So was (or is) your public IP address on here https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/  and if so is it on the SBL line? Do not worry if it is on the PBL or XBL lines - that is not a problem.

You can find your public IP address here https://www.whatismyip.com/ 

Given the symptoms I outline in the first line, if your IP address is blacklisted by Spamhaus it will be because you have something called a SpamBot somewhere on your home network sending spam emails. Probably lots and lots of them!

This will not be sending emails via your email app or any other email software you may have installed and it could be located on any device attached to your network so you will not be aware of what is happening.

Getting your IP address delisted is pointless because Spamhaus is dynamic and as soon as the Spambot starts sending more spam your iP will be  blacklisted again straight away.

The only solution is to find and remove the Spambot.  This post takes you through that process and gives you more details as to how Spambots work.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40....

By the way, do you use the Hola VPN? That has been strongly implicated as being  the culprit in allowing the Spambot to sneak onto peoples' networks.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Coenoby 

Thanks for the info I am on the spam list I dont have a home computer only my android phone yes thats correct on mobile data I can send and receive emails on vm wifi I can only receive emails i dont have a vpn 

Shall I look for a spam bot app 

Thanks Caz 😊 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@caz22 wrote:

I dont have a home computer only my android phone

So what devices are connected to your VM network, and by that I also mean any devices belonging to other members of the household not just yourself?

By devices I mean things such as Smart TVs, Amazon Firesticks, Games consoles as well as PC's or laptops.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hiya just my phone and alexa and light 

Thanks 😊 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@caz22 wrote:Hiya just my phone and alexa and light

So are there smart devices linked to Alexa?

Your situation is a first for me. 😕

There have been many people on here who have had the Spambot problem but as far as I am aware you are the first not to have a laptop or computer to enable you to track it down.  

Sorry but I am going to have to bow out gracefully and hope that other community members will be able to help you. I am sure someone will have an answer and I will watch this thread with interest.

For the time being, the work around with your emails is to send via the Mobile network. However, the Spambot does need to be found and destroyed because although you are unaware of it there could be thousands of spam emails being sent to individuals around the world from your VM network,

I am sure you will get the problem sorted successfully.

Coenoby

0 Kudos