Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

'unable to contact server' when trying to send emails.

I'm getting this message when trying to send from Android phone. From my Kindle I get a prompt for my email password, which then comes back as 'wrong password '. I don't have a problem from Windows Live Mail on my laptop, though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Email not sending - VM305 error

I posted earlier (though I can't see it in my messages).  I apparently have a 2nd level support call scheduled, to take place within 4 hours as of 12.00 BST, when I communicated with the online messaging support person, but this is now 2.5 hours overdue.  In the meantime I'm trying to work on the problem.

My symptoms are: When I try to send an email on my android phone I get "unable to connect to server. Your email will be sent as soon as the connection is restored".  On my Kindle (Android) I get a request to add the password, but the password (which is correct as I changed it on my VM account earlier) is not accepted.  On my laptop I have Windows Live Mail.  I can send successfully from this unless I check the box to use authentication.  I added my VM email account to GMail, and on trying to add authentication details I got the message Can't connect to server [525 # 5.7.13 Authentication denied (VM305)].  I've looked at WhatIsMyIP.com, and that shows that my IP is listed on Spamhaus SBL, StopSpam, NS Zones Dyn and NS Zones Dyn + SBL, SORBS Aggregate Zone and SORBS Dynamic IP Addresses.  I can send from the VM web mail.

I am currently scanning my laptop. My phone seems clean. What are the next steps, in the absence of the support call?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email not sending - VM305 error

Checking all your connected devices to find and remove the spam bot causing the issue is a nightmare.

There is guidance here on how to do it:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

A callback from VM isn't going to help in this situation as they won't be able to track down the offending bot on your local network.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham.  I'll digest all that and see where I get to!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham.

I have followed the guidance from the link you sent me, with the following results:

On running Wireshark I immediately started seeing packets from two IP addresses.  One,  starting 198.x.x.x I recognise as an IPv4 address for my PC. The second (which appeared to be talking to that address), starting 62.x.x.x I don't recognise.  It doesn't come up as an IP address for any of my household's mobile devices, or my Fire TV stick.

I set up the wifi hotspot from my laptop and connected all the devices including the Fire stick, but didn't see any packet activity.

The only other device I have connected is a VOIP landline phone, plugged into the router. I have no idea how to find its IP address.

The puzzling thing is that when I used WhatIsMyIP.com to find my public IP address, it returned one starting 81.x.x.x.  Does this tally with the above findings?  This is blocked on a Spamhaus, NS Zones.com Dyn, NSZones.com Dyn & SBL, SORBS Aggregate ZOne and SORBS Dynamic  IP Addresses.   

I now have these questions, hoping you or someone can help:

1. What kind of device has an IP address starting 62.x.x.x? (Could this be the VOIP phone?) 

2. I'm starting to think that the malware is on my laptop.  How do identify what the malware is so that I can remove it?

3. I have a Wireshark capture file (and a screen shot of it).  Will this help to identify the problem, and if so how?

4. Assuming I can clean my laptop (assuming that's the problem), how do I get my IP unblocked on all those sites?

Hoping someone can help!

0 Kudos